Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 752 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2012, 03:43 AM   #7511
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Having more Ib with lower hfe is interacting with the cascode bias ref to an extent though.
Old 15th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #7512
diyAudio Member

I have finally started to build the RIAA circuit with shunt supply.

I am getting a strange phenomenon at the moment with the shunt. It's fed 38.7V from via a LM317 pre regulator. The first time I switched on the supply I could only get 38.33V out however I adjust the 5k pot. The LEDs light up OK. So I disconnected and double checked the shunt circuit with the schematic. There seemed to be no error so I wondered whether the I had connected the sense wires properly to the dummy load (it's all lashed up temporarily). So I powered up again and bingo I was able to adjust the voltage across the dummy load to 28V. It seemed steady for a few minutes so I checked the temperatures of the IRFP9140s - cool, no problem there. The LM317 was hot though - it's getting 50V in and dropping to 38.7V (30V ac secondary on the trafo). I then blew gently on the components and suddenly the voltage shot up to 38.3v across the load again. It was as if someone had flicked a switch.

I'm wondering whether it's the LM317 that's struggling or possibly a dry solder joint.
Old 15th April 2012, 10:58 PM   #7513
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Try using a CRC with a high wattage resistor for pre-filtering and voltage drop. Not sure in your case but I think I remember another member with next of kin Reflektor shunt reg having a 317 pre-reg kicking when feeding it.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:21 AM   #7514
diyAudio Member

I had trubles with the LM317 oscillating aparentley they do not like large capacitance at the output (this is what I think so it may be wrong)
I got things much quiter using a common mode coke which I was tring out for sometink else.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:48 AM   #7515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
I had trubles with the LM317 oscillating aparentley they do not like large capacitance at the output (this is what I think so it may be wrong)
I got things much quiter using a common mode coke which I was tring out for sometink else.
Have you used small caps (0.1F)? Try soldering them directly at the pins of the LM317. This should avoud oscillating.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:43 AM   #7516
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The 317 is a series regulator. The power dissipated in the series regulator is Vdrop times average output current.

If you hang a shunt regulator on the output of the series regulator then the total and substantially constant current of the shunt regulator becomes the average current being supplied by the series regulator.

Equals very hot series regulator. Possibly hotter than either of the CCS or the Shunt mosFETs. Compare the sinking and size of those three semiconductors to see your problem.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:31 PM   #7517
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help on this guys. It looks like I should ditch the 317.

Is it OK to feed this shunt unregulated DC?
Old 16th April 2012, 12:35 PM   #7518
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its OK with raw DC just from a bridge and filter capacitor.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:40 PM   #7519
diyAudio Member

Great. I have a 25V secondary trafo. The PSU already has CRC.

thank you
Old 16th April 2012, 12:44 PM   #7520
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Fine, remember to adjust for >=7V raw dc input than reg's output to have a safe voltage drop margin.

Hide this!Advertise here!