Simplistic NJFET RIAA

A modified Wilson Benesch

It is called Ply. It is made by Bentz Micro for WB as OEM and it is based on mid output Glider. It has carbon fiber body.

Attachments

• 106468-wilson_benesch_ply_cartridge.jpg
    106468-wilson_benesch_ply_cartridge.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 243
  • 106466-wilson_benesch_ply_cartridge.jpg
    106466-wilson_benesch_ply_cartridge.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 232
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It will mute and it can drive Q6 beyond IDSS for AC. If the input signal is high it can heat up Q6. There is no DC overdrive due to the output capacitor but no buffer output resistor to limit AC peaks. I would almost mute it with small R so to be safer if planning a relay mute function.

I know that cart. I had the pleasure to listen to it on a WB TT connected to my folded.

I also have a Glider in my main system.

What type of DMM did you use to measure the coil resistance ?

I used my Fluke 87 V. I already assumed with high probability that something is wrong with my cart since all other components were tested and no issue were found. It is interesting for me how to measure carts (inductance, capacitance, impedance ans ect..) if need with no risk of damage.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
It will mute and it can drive Q6 beyond IDSS for AC. If the input signal is high it can heat up Q6. There is no DC overdrive due to the output capacitor but no buffer output resistor to limit AC peaks. I would almost mute it with small R so to be safer if planning a relay mute function.

Yes... I need a mute because there is a "thump" when I switch between input stages in my most recent double gain folded.

I believe the "thump" comes from the difficulty to keep 1st stage output DC at equal levels for both gains....

I will mute it after the output cap using a 10r to gnd.... Is 10r enough to mute it ?

Please elaborate... how can you be sure the fluke does not damage the cart's coils ?

It is sounded like "A" and after I measured it with Fluke and connected it back to leads it is still sounded like "A". No differences.
I do not think that I melted lacquer of coils and they shorted by Fluke. I assume they were shorted prior my test.
Came to the local stereo shop and borrowed what they have in hand. It was MM 2.4 mV. Unfortunately, no MC with Low output. Installed it with 70+ FSP and dead quite in max volume. Set volume to 5-10% and played it. Harsh on highs due to overkill of gain, but no noise. Very quite.
So, I made conclusion that my Ply is bad. I ship it back to re-tipping guy.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes... I need a mute because there is a "thump" when I switch between input stages in my most recent double gain folded.

I believe the "thump" comes from the difficulty to keep 1st stage output DC at equal levels for both gains....

I will mute it after the output cap using a 10r to gnd.... Is 10r enough to mute it ?

Start with 100R

Better a whisper than letting only RDS of Q6 alone to oppose ACmA possible large swing. Try on a breadboard first. Its just a B1 stage with small input cap and larger output cap. Use your gen to drive it at expected swings. Say 1V to 10V pk-pk. Check the residual output with your scope over the mute resistor, monitor the current swing over 1R in series with PSU using one free scope channel. See if a JFET will break at how low Ohmic load vs high AC drive. Thorough experimental work.;)

I'm almost more curious how he might have caused the issue!

For sure, I can't guaranty for 100% built proof, but I do not think I damaged it by connecting it to one of my Phonos or even to Fluke. I got that phenomenon with noise as soon as I received it from re-tipping. This is why I installed SUT with 5dB like isolation trany into the FSP input. Salas helped me to got the most quite connection experimentally.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi alexkosha,
The Fluke, and most other good meters in that range, uses about a 1 mA constant current to measure low ohms. The current drops as higher ranges are selected. 1 mA will not harm any MC coils, especially for the short time it takes you to measure.

The only safer way to measure your coils is a good AC LCR meter. My bottom of the line Agilent 4263A can use a 50 mV signal at various frequencies for measurements. I would hope anyone who works on cartridges would have at least this to use. Inductance would be very handy to know in the audio band.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just looked at what the retipping guru uses for equipment. Yikes, his soldering equipment is not up to snuff for working on anything! It is completely temperature uncontrolled. You would think that his work that depends on solder connections would be entrusted to a controlled temperature station. Those are $120 or less for a nice station, or a Weller for $270 or more. His meters aren't that great either, but that scope will work fine. His audio oscillator isn't suitable really either. It has extremely poor control over frequency and level. Again, a better oscillator would probably save him a ton of time. An HP 3325 or 3336 would more than do what he needs. Even an old HP 334A (leveled generator) would be very good for this, and probably cheaper now than his oscillator was worth new.

Why do some people try and do service with junk?

-Chris

I just looked at what the retipping guru uses for equipment. Yikes, his soldering equipment is not up to snuff for working on anything! It is completely temperature uncontrolled. You would think that his work that depends on solder connections would be entrusted to a controlled temperature station. Those are $120 or less for a nice station, or a Weller for $270 or more. His meters aren't that great either, but that scope will work fine. His audio oscillator isn't suitable really either. It has extremely poor control over frequency and level. Again, a better oscillator would probably save him a ton of time. An HP 3325 or 3336 would more than do what he needs. Even an old HP 334A (leveled generator) would be very good for this, and probably cheaper now than his oscillator was worth new.

Why do some people try and do service with junk?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I see your point, but I also see dozen very nice feedbacks about his work on different sites. Do not think that all these guys are his friends...
It is definitely nice to use top-notch measurement equipment..., but not Amati, Guarneri or Stradivari used any of audio analyzers back then....
Lets see how its ends with my guy... He should receive my cart today. I'll keep you guys updated.