Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi Nick,

I decided to reduce my gain back to 56dB (remember, I use 1:5 STEP UPs in my input in order to isolate noise coming from my cart).
So, I removed Q2,R3.
Now, I do not have 2.2K 2W for R13. It is 1.2K Mils 5W currently there.
What would be the impact if I'll leave it there as is? Does my Q1 will be out of set-point or even damaged? For the full picture: Q1 is 13.51mA and R2 is 8.2 Ohm PRP 1/4W.
Please let me know since I do not what to power it up for new BIAS prior consulting with you first. Thank you in advance.

Done and 2.2k in place. Done with Bias too. This is the dB level that I needed. Thank you and it is perfect now.

Short question to all TT experienced guys...
The final little noise that I start to hear in 3/4 of full volume is when TT motor is On and I rotate TT arm towards center pin (like to the end of LP). Rotate arm back to LP start position and noise is going down. Absolute quite when TT motor Off.
So, the issue is related to cart pickup from my motor. How to cure that?
I assume one of you might saw such things.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Metal bodied carts are generally more immune to that. You can't do much if the shielding ain't strong in the cart itself. You already balanced the transfer on SUT. DC motor TT with external PSU is emitting the least. But as you describe it i.e. when 3/4 volume and up-no music-20dB gain preamp-little noise, it does not seem intruding. What is it? Buzz or hum?

Metal bodied carts are generally more immune to that. You can't do much if the shielding ain't strong in the cart itself. You already balanced the transfer on SUT. DC motor TT with external PSU is emitting the least. But as you describe it i.e. when 3/4 volume and up-no music-20dB gain preamp-little noise, it does not seem intruding. What is it? Buzz or hum?

It is more like hum. It is quite above my listening habit volume level, but I thought we might try to fix it.

Nice picture where is above the motor... Unfortunately, my motor is sticks out. To use some thin MU metal or Cu plate beneath my wool plater pad would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 209