Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 712 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2011, 06:19 PM   #7111
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Happy new year to all!
Old 4th January 2012, 05:29 PM   #7112
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much Salas. I've got a slight hum problem on one channel of the 40dB stage I built for my dad, but then this is next on the list (it only hums when arm an lead is connected, it does this with two different arms regardless if L or R leads are connected).

As an aside, have you though about adapting this circuit for use in R2R's and cassette decks? I bet this circuit would sound fantastic when used as a play amplifier in one of my Nakamichi's

I would be willing to give it a go in either my 482 or 482Z
Old 4th January 2012, 05:36 PM   #7113
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I had only designed in a couple of NAB curves for open reel for a member who wanted to test but I don't know if he ever did. For hum in a custom build only when the arm is connected, its you must find the wrong ground loop and revise it. I can't know what's routed and how there, naturally.
Old 4th January 2012, 06:35 PM   #7114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao@AltheaMusica View Post
You're welcome and I'm glad if I can help you.

Another way is, like Salas mentioned to use batteries ... but this is another cup of tea.

Have a look at Thel Audio
Tanks as one need all help he can get...

I started up with bateries for a INA like mc stage I designed about 3 / 4 years ago it had 6 LT 1028 and a couple off DC servos.

The charger was a LM317 with a transistor for costant current.

But I wanted to go away from 8 leghed critters and learn how to use transistors and Jfets.

IMO the simpler the circuit the better it sounds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIAA 001.jpg (595.8 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg RIAA 002.jpg (636.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg RIAA 005.jpg (606.4 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg RIAA old SCH.jpg (622.8 KB, 353 views)
Old 4th January 2012, 07:05 PM   #7115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by df_genius View Post
Thanks very much Salas. I've got a slight hum problem on one channel of the 40dB stage I built for my dad, but then this is next on the list (it only hums when arm an lead is connected, it does this with two different arms regardless if L or R leads are connected).
Sorry to but in Hum in mine is with 60 + dB gain for moving coil.
With 40 dB gain I may presume vrongly that you are using a MM cartridge.

If so, I may be wrong again but MM may have one of the pins connected to ground so there may be ground loop there.

OFF topic.(I been Acused that I listen to cheap records which is actualy true)

My kid is in UNI at Shieffield so I will be there eventualy could you give me same pointers for the best record shops in there...

OFF OFF topic Picture onethe cheap one actualy sound better than the one in the box set for 1/30 price.

Picture 2 the old one on top is original Shanachie the second one is Island reprint the old one is scrathed the Island reprint has not only quite a bit of his from master tape but also One could clearly ear the Echo of the first notes before the actual music start (poor cutting)

I listen to the scratched one normaly

The litle one on the side is Just a teaser...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simplistic 001.jpg (983.4 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Simplistic 002.jpg (1,002.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 4th January 2012, 09:23 PM   #7116
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Picture 2 the old one on top is original Shanachie the second one is Island reprint the old one is scrathed the Island reprint has not only quite a bit of his from master tape but also One could clearly ear the Echo of the first notes before the actual music start (poor cutting)
I have on disc where I can hear notes before music starts and I believe that is an indicator that the master tape is analog. I also experienced the same effect in some old tapes I have got... When in storage, if the tape is tightly wound, there can be an image formed from previous notes, because the tape is overlaping in the reel

No hum in any of my builds
Old 4th January 2012, 09:53 PM   #7117
Swarky is offline Swarky  Spain
diyAudio Member

I think its called "print through".
Old 4th January 2012, 09:56 PM   #7118
diyAudio Member

Thank you Swarky... I searched my memory but could not remenber the correct naming for the effect.... It is very common in cassette tapes also.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:17 PM   #7119
diyAudio Member

Tapes one thing records is different.
If you push late to hard it deform the previous or next groove next grove you can't hear as late cancell out the "spurious" noise by cutting over it The previous grove is ruined and no going back to it. Unless you start again.

But big company does not realy care for records that do not sell much and normaly does a rush job of it especialy if they do not own the artist.

Riccardo how old is the record you mention?

Tape analog yes especialy for late 70 records.

I don't realy want to get in to an analog digital debate I do have an Ipod after all but IMO digital is what killed the art. to easy to cancell mistakes and dinamics are so much compressed on late stuff...

A bit like listening to a BBC or ITV program I did not realy understud what the fuss about Paul Potts was till I heard him sing Nessun Dorma on the BBC.

Get searching for original Shanachie stuff in the second hand shops probably the best 3.50 you ever spent.

PS the are in Newton NJ USA so you may find much more stuff than what we get this side of the pond
http://shanachie.com/

http://www.discogs.com/Chieftains-Bo.../master/284347

Last edited by Bksabath; 4th January 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:32 PM   #7120
diyAudio Member

I can actually hear the whole music very low but only between tracks. It is clearly a print through from the tape used... not a pressing error. This disc one of my top ones in terms of sound quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!