Simplistic NJFET RIAA

A Balanced riaa based on two boards per channel might be really difficult to achieve because in each channel we would need two exactly equal amps with the same amplification and the same riaa curve. Due to parts variations I believe it to be a task for Zeus.

IMO if one needs a balanced output, better is to use a TX or an opamp.
Balanced has nothing to do with signal levels nor amounts of amplification.

Balanced has a proper name:
Balanced impedance connection.

It's the BALANCED IMPEDANCE that matters, not the voltages.
Further, there is no connection to the third conductor/screen in the balanced impedance cable.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Balanced has nothing to do with signal levels nor amounts of amplification.

Balanced has a proper name:
Balanced impedance connection.

It's the BALANCED IMPEDANCE that matters, not the voltages.
Further, there is no connection to the third conductor/screen in the balanced impedance cable.

Ignoring the third conductor/screen, we have only two signal lines.... Those two lines should carry a symmetrical image of the signal... what I am trying to say is that if you have different (not symmetrical) signals feeding these lines you will surely get a mess out.

Ignoring the third conductor/screen, we have only two signal lines.... Those two lines should carry a symmetrical image of the signal... what I am trying to say is that if you have different (not symmetrical) signals feeding these lines you will surely get a mess out.
NO !!!
balanced impedance connections DO NOT need voltage on both lines.
Both can be equal and opposite phase, or both can be different values and same phase, or one can be zero level and the other can be of either phase, or a multiplicity of other voltage combinations.

What matters is that the Source component sees EXACTLY the same impedance on both lines and the Receiver component sees EXACTLY the same impedance on both lines.

RCruz,
I will be trying a transformer based balanced input into SE FSP with single gain fet, which is then converted to balanced. I prefer balanced connections as they seem to offer so many advantages, both objectively and for me, subjectively. Be warned that transformers are like capacitors. I will be looking at the SACT, Jensen, and Silk audio input transformers.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz,
I will be trying a transformer based balanced input into SE FSP with single gain fet, which is then converted to balanced. I prefer balanced connections as they seem to offer so many advantages, both objectively and for me, subjectively. Be warned that transformers are like capacitors. I will be looking at the SACT, Jensen, and Silk audio input transformers.

I could live with that idea buzz.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What matters is that the Source component sees EXACTLY the same impedance on both lines and the Receiver component sees EXACTLY the same impedance on both lines.

This is the major difficulty when establishing a balanced connection... I know that.

But on top of that if the two signals are not perfectly correlated we should have another big problem... that is what I am talking about.

I think this is one of the ideas behind cross coupled circuits like the Pass stuff. If you don't have something that is actively comparing/balancing the two sides, then perhaps it is best left alone. On the output of the RIAA, you could use another transformer or perhaps a discrete version of the opa1632

the signal levels are irrelevant as shown in the examples in post14014.

You could have 2V & 1V on the lines and the output would be a scaled version of the 1V difference.
or you could have 1V & 0V and the difference is 1V
or -0.5V and +0.5V and the difference is 1V
or -15V and -14V and the difference is 1V

The input levels don't matter.
Look up some articles on Balanced Impedance amplifiers.
And Differential amplifiers.

Last edited: