Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Salas, I'm building a balanced one with one 369 for 56 dB gain and I'm intrigued by the possibility to use a CCS in R13 position. You suggest a Supertex DN2540 ( ...and I get a lot of them), but I have a single 369 and I need only 9mA, not 18. Can I use a K170 with the same Idss , tying G and S and connect it in the R13 position? IMHO ccs bring always a great sense of air and musicality over the simple resistor polarisation... and remain a simplistic thing.

If it can handle the dissipation in the long term (there will be high VDS), maybe use a TO-92 sink, you can try it. It will inject some own noise too but you may not object. The Supertex is not doing a good job if asked for less than about 20mA anyway.

Salas I use two 369, could I use DN2540 as CCS, if yes with CCS circuit is better and why: one or two DN2540?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Merlin

Please take a look at my simulations. (R13 is replaced by a CCS with a trimmer in the fet source)

The idea is to fix the idling current on the input fets so we do not need to wait until all voltages stabilize in order to have optimal behavior.

If you find a suitable supplier for the DN2540, I am interested.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
A Balanced riaa based on two boards per channel might be really difficult to achieve because in each channel we would need two exactly equal amps with the same amplification and the same riaa curve. Due to parts variations I believe it to be a task for Zeus.

IMO if one needs a balanced output, better is to use a TX or an opamp.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Two mosfets form a cascode where the top one keeps collector voltage steady on the lower one.

Impedance is much higher and CCS is much more stiff.

Anyway I must try one mosfet only in the first place and see if it does not inject too much noise in the system.

If only one works I might try to cascade in a later stage :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As you can see, with the resistor ccs, current swings freely with signal (top circuit)
Using an active ccs with one DN2540, current swing is greatly reduced (mid circuit)
Using a cascaded ccs with two DN2540, simulation does not predict oscilation (bottom circuit)

But active ccs might prove too noisy for powering the folded input stage.
Anyway this is a good opportunity to experiment.

PS: current setting will be done with a trimmer in the mosfet source (R20) in my schematic.

Attachments

• DN2540 VS cascoded.png
    DN2540 VS cascoded.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 294
A Balanced riaa based on two boards per channel might be really difficult to achieve because in each channel we would need two exactly equal amps with the same amplification and the same riaa curve. Due to parts variations I believe it to be a task for Zeus.

IMO if one needs a balanced output, better is to use a TX or an opamp.

don't be afraid of the components matching, a balanced version wins low hands in
s/n ratio, air, dinamic and soundstage. I've tried it with the old version and I was VERY satysfied. If there was a little error in the frequency response, the
greater musicality will forget it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
don't be afraid of the components matching, a balanced version wins low hands in
s/n ratio, air, dinamic and soundstage. I've tried it with the old version and I was VERY satysfied. If there was a little error in the frequency response, the
greater musicality will forget it.

I am a perfectionist and know that a minor freq difference between channels introduces phase issues between channels that kill the soundstage credibility.

Now imagine the same if both lines of the same channel in a balanced configuration get different freq response with different gains.....

In a balanced config, even the cables impedance if of paramout importance in both signal lines.

MTC off course.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For loading the plate on this tube I would use the cascaded version of the ccs and pick up signal from the low impedance node (gate of the upper mosfet)

That way you will maximize gain and linearity.

Post on the 26 thread and I will explain better there.

Like the CCS of SSHV2?

Attachments

• SSHV2 cascode DN2450 CCS.gif
    SSHV2 cascode DN2450 CCS.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 260