Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 612 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2011, 08:52 PM   #6111
diyAudio Member

Default Phono Stage

Hi Salas,

i have Sowter 9580 transformer, so i want to assembled only MM Phono stage, without pre-pre.
You can get the PCB (Phono and shunt regulator).
Regards
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:57 PM   #6112
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

There is a PDF that describes the 43dB HiMC circuit values. They had already given you the link. Read, make perfboard build, and drive it from your Sowter at 10X(20dB). 63dB together, more than enough for 103.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:03 PM   #6113
diyAudio Member

Default Phono Stage

Thaks Salas,

have you a perfboard schematic?
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:39 PM   #6114
diyAudio Member

Hy Salas

i want to buy me a ps for the phono and found this HP 32V/1560mA 0950-4476 HP Power Adapter 0950-4476

i want to filter it with 10000-20000uf(crc) before it powers the shunt.what do you say?it will work like a regular transormer on hum issues or worse?
Old 24th April 2011, 12:25 AM   #6115
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It has the plus that you can keep it outside and away in a neat manner like any power brick. That is very good for avoiding hum. I would just terminate with a sizeable capacitor at the receiving end, I.e. reg's DCin terminals in phono box.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:33 PM   #6116
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

post 6114.
What does LPS tagged onto "1560mA LPS" mean?
Old 24th April 2011, 02:25 PM   #6117
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I have been listening to a DL103 with my 57dB Salas Riaa with 420 ohms load. (As my system has too much gain, it works perfectly and noiseless.)

Comparing with the DL160, it really has the same type of presentation providing nice voices and articulate upper bass notes but with much more subtlety. Now I understand why some have the trouble to remove the plastic outer case or even replace it with special wood cases.

It recreates a wide soundstage and is quite fluid.

It does not have the high freq extension and detail of the higher cost carts but does not distort and tracks wonderfully.

I am using it on a Rega P3 with RB300.... A very good match indeed.
With a good phono preamp, such a setup is much more envolving and bigger than even the goldenote super dac playing lossless files from a pc.
Old 24th April 2011, 02:31 PM   #6118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARIO1997 View Post
Thaks Salas,

have you a perfboard schematic?
As far as I know there is no pcb schematic available but I suggest you use Express PCB to design your layout.

Post it before you build it ! It will be a nice contribution and we will review it and try to avoid any mistakes.

Have you already decided on what type of components you are going to use ?
Old 24th April 2011, 02:42 PM   #6119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzsch View Post
Hy Salas

i want to buy me a ps for the phono and found this HP 32V/1560mA 0950-4476 HP Power Adapter 0950-4476

i want to filter it with 10000-20000uf(crc) before it powers the shunt.what do you say?it will work like a regular transormer on hum issues or worse?
Looking at the size of the HP adapter, it must have a very small TX so probably it is a switch mode psu. As it is so inexpensive, it will be a good contribution for us to know if it works ok.

I always used "normal" TX + Rectifier + Smoother PSUs and in this case the type of TX is very important as well as its VA rating.

Inboard PSU provides the best imediacy to the sound but I opted to use external psus when hum becomes an issue. (In this case, local shunt input bypass is very benefitial).
Old 25th April 2011, 12:11 PM   #6120
altek is offline altek  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

can anyone knows where can I buy capacitors type MKP - Mandorf, electolytic BlackGate ( for and even here in Russia with this problem, three-month wait for an order is too long......
( possible and in the U.S. )

Hide this!Advertise here!