Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Thanks Per. I will test this including the tv-series when she have found the holes:)
I probably need some points when the time comes.

Regards

Good:)

Congrats whit Helner today
Like your frontpage:D

Attachments

• 646x_13197743.jpg
    646x_13197743.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Got the break in machine started.
And old 10Kohm attenuator between the cd player and the folded.
Playing my favorite burn in CD from Hagerman with pure noise.
I guess a day or 2 with that equals many weeks with ordinary vinyl playing

What is the TT & cart? Well Tempered something? What is the input impedance that the folded drives? Good start up, congrats.

Parts question

Hi,
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, however, I am gearing up to build one of these esteemed units and I found these transformers at HSC surplus for $4.25 each.
photo.JPG
The sign on the bin said "36V single, 18V double, 6 amps." The guys who work there are wonderful, however, they don't commit to an opinion about what stuff is (and if you don't act like you know what you're doing--they make you change the fuses on the test equipment :eek: ). I was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to do to check the specs on these? or point me somewhere to look. I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
David

Can you post a bigger close up picture of the leaflet?

Hi Salas,

Here are two close-ups. The left side diagram is labelled "115V 50/60Hz" and below it says "Basic 6 pin Single 115V." The right side shows series and parallel connections. The store has other values in these too, so it would be nice if I could learn how to measure them. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• Leftside.jpg
    Leftside.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Rightside.jpg
    Rightside.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 292
A low impedance cartridge will be able to drive longer cables than a high impedance cartridge.
One that is also very capacitance tolerant will drive very long cables.

BUT !!!!!! these low impedance cartridges are sending signals that are ~20dB lower and thus more susceptible to picking up interference.

I recommend that the RIAA be under the pick up arm to minimise the cable length and minimise the propensity to pick up interference.

Get the signal up to about line level and then send it down long cables.

Where does one locate the mast head amplifier for the TV aerial? or for the satellite dish?

It's the same philosophy.

What is the TT & cart? Well Tempered something? What is the input impedance that the folded drives? Good start up, congrats.

The TT is a Well tempered Record Player, with a AT33EV,
i am using 100ohm imput impedance as used previously on my P075mk2
The folded drives a Borbely all fet preamp at 10K input impedance.
the output cap is 3,3uf and is a little over your recommended.

The folded is braking in as we speak and is soon passing the magic 24hrs border.

Will test again tonight with bass neutral record and see if it has changed,

I have all the 15,2nf in place (15nf + 3ea polyprop) it might be a little to mutch.
I selected caps according to measurements with my new Chinese cap meter,
We discussed the Chinese quality and i prob. should have calibrated it .

ps im looking forward to rolling more records,

Per

A low impedance cartridge will be able to drive longer cables than a high impedance cartridge.
One that is also very capacitance tolerant will drive very long cables.

BUT !!!!!! these low impedance cartridges are sending signals that are ~20dB lower and thus more susceptible to picking up interference.

I recommend that the RIAA be under the pick up arm to minimise the cable length and minimise the propensity to pick up interference.

Get the signal up to about line level and then send it down long cables.

Where does one locate the mast head amplifier for the TV aerial? or for the satellite dish?

It's the same philosophy.

Yes you are right im worried about sending 0.3mv signals at that distance,
The twisted silver in cotton is better than many other cables and does not have the limited bandwidth as shielded cables normally have,

I will do a test and see if it makes any difference

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The TT is a Well tempered Record Player, with a AT33EV,
i am using 100ohm imput impedance as used previously on my P075mk2
The folded drives a Borbely all fet preamp at 10K input impedance.
the output cap is 3,3uf and is a little over your recommended.

The folded is braking in as we speak and is soon passing the magic 24hrs border.

Will test again tonight with bass neutral record and see if it has changed,

I have all the 15,2nf in place (15nf + 3ea polyprop) it might be a little to mutch.
I selected caps according to measurements with my new Chinese cap meter,
We discussed the Chinese quality and i prob. should have calibrated it .

ps im looking forward to rolling more records,

Per

Also try 220R load for that cart. Neither that cart nor this Riaa alignment are known for ripe upper bass. Acoustic feedback from loudspeakers to the TT or its arm & cart resonant frequency bit high can give all sorts of effects. C2Y value is an area worth subjective evaluation for system synergy. Either lower or higher than target. In well tonally balanced full systems, real 15.2nF C2+C2Y total value should feel neutral.

Ok

better now,
I guess the record i played yesterday is prob. not the best production the word has seen,
After some records tonight the sound of the riia itself is less dominant and the sound of the record is what i hear.
On Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love, One step up it plays bass with very good detail, better than i heard before,

Fun

Have records, will play

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ok

better now,
I guess the record i played yesterday is prob. not the best production the word has seen,
After some records tonight the sound of the riia itself is less dominant and the sound of the record is what i hear.
On Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love, One step up it plays bass with very good detail, better than i heard before,

Fun

Have records, will play

I am for tuning the TT system and Riaa preamp subtle parameters for an average of recordings in one's collection than for a few reference but seldom pressings. Its all about max everyday musical pleasure since vinyl is not prepared for master or pressed in absolutely same way in all plants. That will take a little time to grasp as well as letting some components like the electrochemical caps come up. From Thurston Moore to the Boss there is some quite wide listening space to evaluate. Then in better confidence one can revisit the TT set up subtleties or the C2Y thing if it proves productive.