Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Pivot to spindle mounting confusion, tracking force precision hassle, no VTA and no azimuth adjustment, a nightmare! And still on my TT.

I have a nice little VTA adjuster on mine:

DSC_5745.JPG

Unfortunately, the arm is sitting a little too high, so the VTA adjuster is useless to me unless I modify the arm mounting board to lower the pivot.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I spent quite a bit of time measuring and selecting 2SK117's and diodes...
...This process of measuring, sorting, and selecting parts is time consuming, but it is also kind of fun, and I hope ultimately rewarding as it allows a level of matching that would seldom be found in a commercial product...
...I look forward to listening, but I also enjoy building these things and will not rush the process...
...Also, spending time reading the schematic and the build guide while building has helped me to "grok" the circuit a little more, and that is always a win. In other words, I'm having fun so far, and anticipating more fun!

You sound like a Swiss watchmaker and you enjoy it. That surely takes away the edge of the day, for many building days. Has a value on its own regardless of the goal.;)

:mad:

A problem has appeard.
Yesterday afternoon i powered the boards for some listening time and i got severe hum/buzz on my speakers. Switched it off and on again , no hum , played perfectly.
This morning did the same thing: loud hum/buzz. Only this time, its just doesnt go away. I didnt make any changes on the boards, havent even moved them. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
A problem has appeard.
Yesterday afternoon i powered the boards for some listening time and i got severe hum/buzz on my speakers. Switched it off and on again , no hum , played perfectly.
This morning did the same thing: loud hum/buzz. Only this time, its just doesnt go away. I didnt make any changes on the boards, havent even moved them. Any thoughts?

Hi thats a pity. Have you measured voltages ? Can you bring pictures ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Much moving around due to tests. That happened on the TT cable or on the FSP RCA joint?
Is the TT cabling coming directly from the tonearm or there is some break and connector inside the TT chassis? Maybe an opportunity to renew that cabling with some low capacitance, mechanically superior, better shielding type.

Much moving around due to tests. That happened on the TT cable or on the FSP RCA joint?
Is the TT cabling coming directly from the tonearm or there is some break and connector inside the TT chassis? Maybe an opportunity to renew that cabling with some low capacitance, mechanically superior, better shielding type.

The cut was in the rg174 cable soldered to the FSP board. The cabling coming from the tonearm goes into a small metal box attached to the underside of TT where there are RCA connectors.
Come to think of it, i never considered changing the tonearm wiring. Any recomendations that wont break the bank?

Blue Jeans Cable LC-1

Thanks, cable looks good and not expensive.
Impressions for TNPW as loading resistor are positive. It has lots of resolution, although not as insanely high as tx2352, and it doesnt sound clinical.
I've order some smd 0.1% resistors to replace the 1% ones i currently use which are the 1Meg, 2.2k, 3.3k.
1Meg and 2.2k will be Susumu RG, 3.3k will be TNPW

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, cable looks good and not expensive.
Impressions for TNPW as loading resistor are positive. It has lots of resolution, although not as insanely high as tx2352, and it doesnt sound clinical.
I've order some smd 0.1% resistors to replace the 1% ones i currently use which are the 1Meg, 2.2k, 3.3k.
1Meg and 2.2k will be Susumu RG, 3.3k will be TNPW

What about R5 6k8? Its in the Riaa filter too.