Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 565 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2010, 07:51 PM   #5641
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I use thin shielded for signal everywhere and always. I prefer the signal non exposed as much as it can. But I know it can escape some stuff if correctly dressed away from fields and in high enough level when in twisted pair too.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:12 PM   #5642
diyAudio Member

Well always you get something & you lost something, all depends what are your needs, but talking inside eletronics & low level signal I abosuletely prefer shielded to avoid EMI & RFI, we are talking about not long wires, for example I'm using the Cardas 2x24ga plus shiled 3mm 45pF foot/30.48cm so input I'm using 5cm (7.38pF) & output 15cm (22.15pF) compared vs interconnexion cables, Tx, chokes, power & something else using wire it's ridiculous speak of amount of capacitance in chassis shielded wires if you use the adequate, benefits to use shileded wire: avoid EMI/RFI, you choose but I have done mine.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:17 PM   #5643
diyAudio Member

Placing a DC current through the coils of any cartridge with permeable core will be magnetize !
Old 28th December 2010, 08:19 PM   #5644
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

OK. Will it demagnetize if I will run random noise test LP?
Old 28th December 2010, 08:24 PM   #5645
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Merlin, my 2 meter interconnect from pre to power amp has something like 60pF, if I remember correctly. If you want can check tomorrow.
Best interconnect tried, was one synergistic research a friend of mine brought to my system years ago. The ones you plug them. We could even hear when it was powered and when not, very clearly. I just can' t justify myself to give 1000 Euro for a cable. Not now, at least. I am not saying that unshielded is better, but from what I have, this is what I prefer.
Salas, what thin shield cable do you usually use? I remember saying that once you used Cat5 pairs.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:37 PM   #5646
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

I use Mogami as Phono interconnects, and they are both sheilded and twisted
Old 28th December 2010, 08:41 PM   #5647
diyAudio Member

agreed on the capacitance. Never can eliminate it, only minimize it.

vgeorge,
I was just implying that the very faint buzz could be other issues not just the unshielded wires.

P.S. I run the same cardas shielded wire you listed when needed. Particularly on low level stuff in high fields. Sometime I can get away with interconnects that are not shield, other times I cannot depending on location of other sources.

Last edited by SGregory; 28th December 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:45 PM   #5648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
I use Mogami as Phono interconnects, and they are both sheilded and twisted
Good cables & not expensives
Old 28th December 2010, 08:52 PM   #5649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
Merlin, my 2 meter interconnect from pre to power amp has something like 60pF, if I remember correctly. If you want can check tomorrow.
Best interconnect tried, was one synergistic research a friend of mine brought to my system years ago. The ones you plug them. We could even hear when it was powered and when not, very clearly. I just can' t justify myself to give 1000 Euro for a cable. Not now, at least. I am not saying that unshielded is better, but from what I have, this is what I prefer.
Salas, what thin shield cable do you usually use? I remember saying that once you used Cat5 pairs.
Wow 30pF meter is very very low 9.144pF/foot, are you sure the value is correct?
Old 28th December 2010, 08:54 PM   #5650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
agreed on the capacitance. Never can eliminate it, only minimize it.

vgeorge,
I was just implying that the very faint buzz could be other issues not just the unshielded wires.

P.S. I run the same cardas shielded wire you listed when needed. Particularly on low level stuff in high fields. Sometime I can get away with interconnects that are not shield, other times I cannot depending on location of other sources.
Yes I saw that you used Cardas also for interconnects be care for power cables specially if aren't shielded.

Hide this!Advertise here!