Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 564 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2010, 03:06 PM   #5631
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Tryed with 220R Caddock MK132, 1st impressions is that the sound has more punch or dynamics so more mids & lows also more noise than the Vishay Tx2575 but can't come back to 150R, when I have the money I will order 220R Vishay Tx2575 to Michael Percy. Thank you for great input Nick, now is time to tweak the Riaa HF cap so I will change 15nF76 SM to 15nF teflon film & foil, I will tell you what happens....
OK. Keep 150pF extra caps to make tuning steps. VG's 15mA Vjfet custom simplistic lends it self for 15n straight Teflon by its intrinsic alignment I used, yours may need a bit more than 15n or not. You will see.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:10 PM   #5632
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Input wire must be shielded, but output it depends, I think. Also my interconects are not shielded right now.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:10 PM   #5633
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
Salas, this is silver wire gold plated with cotton insulation.
I have some VDH wire also that I was planing to use but couldn' t find it when I was bulding it! Found it later of course! Think I should change?
No if you don't get any buzz noise. You get any? You got no Tx in that box at least.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:24 PM   #5634
diyAudio Member

With my DCB1 I have no noise, even on the horns.
With the tubes more of a little bit hiss. I do not think this is a problem of the phono. I always try to route my cables away from the transformers, power lines etc.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:29 PM   #5635
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If there is no buzz (zzzz 100Hz to 1kHz harmonic noise) from the source, just different hiss from the line preamplifiers does not have to do with the twisted pair, and you may keep it since your system tonality is great as it is now you say, not to disturb it.
Old 28th December 2010, 04:54 PM   #5636
diyAudio Member

I don't have shielded output wire either. iMHO it is better to avoid it if you can to minimize capacitance. I usually don't run shielded interconnect either. only when I have to.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:37 PM   #5637
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of shielded interconnects which seems to me less dynamic than the ones, pure silver, that I am using now. With the tubes, there is slight buzz only listening right at the speaker. I am certain with different tubes and a little work on layout can make things better. Tape noise from analogue recordings is a lot louder.
For the moment I am listening one of the best sounds ever listened.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:46 PM   #5638
diyAudio Member

vgeorge,
Nice build by the way. thevery slight buzz could be a bunch of things.

If you look here: Gyrator Frequency Response? some of your perception may be found. Sheilding adds alot of capacitance, and resistance plays a role as well. In this post I was playing with attenuation and cable length.
Old 28th December 2010, 06:31 PM   #5639
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link, but keep in mind the very sensitive speakers. Probably in normal 90dB speakers you won' t listen anything. Also I' m not done with the pre.
Old 28th December 2010, 06:45 PM   #5640
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
I don't have shielded output wire either. iMHO it is better to avoid it if you can to minimize capacitance. I usually don't run shielded interconnect either. only when I have to.
If you use twisted pair you are adding capacitance also....if you use parallel wires it's capacitance symbol so exist also capacitance, less what still have...so doesn't exist a couple or more wires without capacitance, you can minimisize the effect if you use a Litz geometry or separate with the maximum lenght possible the wires (this last one difficult to do for chassis wire)

Last edited by merlin el mago; 28th December 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!