Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 556 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2010, 02:22 AM   #5551
diyAudio Member

Initially it seemed to be a step back. The dynamics were compressed and the soundstage squeezed a little in the center. The sound was changing rapidly for the better as I listened to it. After an hour or so I was starting to notice that the dynamics were returning and the stage was opening up again. I would rather wait a little before I comment or commit. I figure the caps need a little time on them, particularly the 47uF electrolytic. I did notice that tonally the sound seemed to have more weight in the mids. Again lets let this burn in over the next day or so. I also want to watch the voltage drift. It is creeping on 43Volts right now.
For that Cap I bought two types to try. The one installed is the Vishay Sprague type 678D which list the impedance at 0.18 at 100kHz. I also have the FC ones as back-up.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:24 AM   #5552
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Give it 48 hours. Also see its set to 45V after half an hour with the lid closed, not initially.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:34 AM   #5553
diyAudio Member

I will keep it in for a while. Your question made me throw an album on. One impression that I should have mentioned before is that it is absolute black. Utter, Total, Complete silence between the notes. It really brings out the ambience of the studio or hall the piece was recorded in.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:37 AM   #5554
diyAudio Chief Moderator

With new electrolytics there is a reforming period. Also don't miss the opportunity to fit the FC which has the ESR I designed and tested around. Low noise is a very good sign non the less.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:46 AM   #5555
diyAudio Member

The FC had a listed impedance of .35 which was at the top of your range. If it doesn't open up after a few days I will put in the FC.

I bought some of the vishay caps also for the LED bypass one the new preamp. That is going to breadboard soon.
Old 27th December 2010, 02:49 AM   #5556
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It will show soon one way or another. No haste.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:40 AM   #5557
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
Initially it seemed to be a step back. The dynamics were compressed and the soundstage squeezed a little in the center. The sound was changing rapidly for the better as I listened to it. After an hour or so I was starting to notice that the dynamics were returning and the stage was opening up again. I would rather wait a little before I comment or commit. I figure the caps need a little time on them, particularly the 47uF electrolytic. I did notice that tonally the sound seemed to have more weight in the mids. Again lets let this burn in over the next day or so. I also want to watch the voltage drift. It is creeping on 43Volts right now.
For that Cap I bought two types to try. The one installed is the Vishay Sprague type 678D which list the impedance at 0.18 at 100kHz. I also have the FC ones as back-up.
Welcome to V1.2R sound courtesy of Mr. Salas (thanks again Nick), did you use the same current in the reg like the V1.0 remote sense? BTW I use Pana FC for the 47uF lytic.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:42 AM   #5558
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
It is a piece of mechanical art. When you hold it, the feel is unique. It is very light and very solid at the same time. Very smooth and stable//

When you tap on things, there is no sound anywhere.
If you aren't in the heaven, you are very very near....
Old 27th December 2010, 11:54 AM   #5559
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Welcome to V1.2R sound courtesy of Mr. Salas (thanks again Nick), did you use the same current in the reg like the V1.0 remote sense? BTW I use Pana FC for the 47uF lytic.
Don't bias the listener. 1.2R could be best to some of us unanimously by now, that does not mean that 1.2 can't be better in another system. All those regs will have an optimum system for synergy. Its fortunate there are three options.
Old 27th December 2010, 12:07 PM   #5560
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Don't bias the listener. 1.2R could be best to some of us unanimously by now, that does not mean that 1.2 can't be better in another system. All those regs will have an optimum system for synergy. Its fortunate there are three options.
Yes you are right (Its fortunate there are three options), I prefer V1.0 remote sense in my unbalanced phono & V1.2R in my balanced phono that's the reason that I asked SGregory his subjective opinion.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 27th December 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!