Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Sorry for coming late to this topic - boards only arrived last week and since last night - it's playing :)

Following the crystal clear guide building was entirely problem free. Two, slightly tweaked for output voltage 60VA Talemas, MUR860, Nichicon KG 15000 and the rest - parts out of my drawers and of course Tea Bag's great minikit. Went for the highest gain which works perfectly with a Cadenza Red. No hiss, nearly no hum with the boards screwed onto a piece of wood with no screening at all.

Soundwise - still caps to break in but it is very, very good. Big thanks to Salas and Tea Bag.

What impresses me most is the extremely low subjective distortion. Very clean transients, great resolution and microdetails. Very natural decays. I may wish for a tad fuller bass but this is really nit picking, besides coupling caps are still new.

I get about 10v at the output follower, not sure if it's worth finding a correct idss ccs for exactly half the supply voltage.

Recently got to listen to Naim's Superline and much to my surprise i quite liked it. It is obviously not too different to the simplistic if one does not pay too much attention to loop feedback, bipolar inputs and tantalum coupling caps :)

Which sets an obvious upgrade path for my version of the simplistic - remove a couple of resistors and decoupling caps and fit each channel with 3 or 4 BiBs.

Attachments

• njfet.jpg
    njfet.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 379
Sorry for coming late to this topic - boards only arrived last week and since last night - it's playing :)

Following the crystal clear guide building was entirely problem free. Two, slightly tweaked for output voltage 60VA Talemas, MUR860, Nichicon KG 15000 and the rest - parts out of my drawers and of course Tea Bag's great minikit. Went for the highest gain which works perfectly with a Cadenza Red. No hiss, nearly no hum with the boards screwed onto a piece of wood with no screening at all.

Soundwise - still caps to break in but it is very, very good. Big thanks to Salas and Tea Bag.

What impresses me most is the extremely low subjective distortion. Very clean transients, great resolution and microdetails. Very natural decays. I may wish for a tad fuller bass but this is really nit picking, besides coupling caps are still new.

I get about 10v at the output follower, not sure if it's worth finding a correct idss ccs for exactly half the supply voltage.

Recently got to listen to Naim's Superline and much to my surprise i quite liked it. It is obviously not too different to the simplistic if one does not pay too much attention to loop feedback, bipolar inputs and tantalum coupling caps :)

Which sets an obvious upgrade path for my version of the simplistic - remove a couple of resistors and decoupling caps and fit each channel with 3 or 4 BiBs.

Well you have been busy ;).... Well done!

I'm waiting for trafo and a bunch of 2sk170bl's Before I can finish mine.

Regards

Hi Salas,

Some members are presented Raw DC PSU module constructions that deviates from your design found in Folded manual. Can you please comment on that since I do not know if I need to add some resistors or chokes into that circuit. So far, I use all parts and construction type found in the manual.
In other words, will you recommend in advance to add resistors, chokes and/or additional elcaps for RC, CRC, LC, CLC (Pi) to make it quieter?
Thank you.

So far i haven't but very possibly will include a CLC filter at a later stage. Why? Because i like what it does for the sound. I even have one in the power supply for my turntable dc motor. For the same reason.

If you want a more engineering reply - it smoothens the caps charging currents and as a consequence there is less harmonics and noise in the ps.

So far i haven't but very possibly will include a CLC filter at a later stage. Why? Because i like what it does for the sound. I even have one in the power supply for my turntable dc motor. For the same reason.

If you want a more engineering reply - it smoothens the caps charging currents and as a consequence there is less harmonics and noise in the ps.

Good, please report when they are in action.:)

Regards

Tonight I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the remaining parts. How can such a simple circuit get so expensive? :eek: I still need to order cases, but will wait until I have all the parts for the raw supply to measure and see what I need.

Meanwhile I have been measuring transistors and diodes. Soldering iron is getting itchy.

The reason it has taken so long to order the extra parts is that I always have a feeling that I'm forgetting something, so I put it off to review again later.