Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have seen 2SK170s failing for no apparent reason before. There are some weak ones it seems but its not often at all to see them fail randomly when used for under 100mW self dissipation. Still I remember one or two in a friend's builds. He was using a rather heavy soldering iron characteristically, l don't know if that can weaken some for long run reliability or not after they start working OK nonetheless. Your suspect FETs should not show less than 35R across else they have failed shorted or partly shorted.

All fets show 39r

You don't need a jumper in case of 22uF/50V normal ESR electrolytic bcs I have provisioned it auto skips the resistor position.;)

4.7uF or 5uF only in case of MKP and the 1.2R populated.

Did you find a TT for a session yet by the way?

No it is almost Christmas. People are busy. Next week A friend will bring a TT.
I am working hard on a power amp. And also the buffer . I am going to compare it with another one I made when it is finnished.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Simplistic's natural class is low active parts count no overall NFB loop circuits. Apples to apples comparisons would be classic structure tube phonos and very few minimalistic SS. Even a Pearl is a stretch. To see what class of circuits sound someone prefers though poses no comparison limit.

re: Q2x, Q3x, Q5x
I am not going to get 6 2sk117's with Idss between 3-4mA; in fact I'm not measuring any under 4mA. Assuming a spread from 4-6mA, which spots should have the "stronger" fets, which the "weaker"? I'm assuming a fairly strong one for Q2x is OK to boost the Vf of the LED's a bit; for Q3x and Q5x does it matter which has higher Idss?
Thanks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I had a go at sorting my boards this morning swapping out the four leds and the output caps and reflowing a couple of joints.The phonostage is powered up;no smoke;and I have the following readings.

LEFT RIGHT
VDC 43 43
G/+rail 33.6 33.5
TP1/2 3.43 3.45
G/TP1 7.75 7.75
G/TP2 4.31 4.29

I'll it for a few hours to check things and hopefully will have a good result when I have a listen.:xfingers: