Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 547 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2010, 11:33 AM   #5461
vgeorge is online now vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Just checked. Hiss at full volum is very low, audible only at the horns. At the listening position you are hard pressed to hear something. of course DCB1 has no gain. Pot is a DACT 10K.
Merlin, transformer is a custom toroidal 310x2 150VA (Don't go lower on VA rating. You can use lower voltage though). Filtering is LCLC and then two Salas HV shunts. Heating with 2 EI 30VA 2x6 transformers and coleman's regulator. For output and anode load LC or LL1660. Haven't decide yet, as I have the anode chokes, but want the lower output impedance of the transformer. Tubes from ebay. Most of the parts are from my previous 12b4a pre.
Regarding 901, I like it very much. Much better than a Denon 103 with wooden body I have. Also from my distant memory compared with Lyra Helicon, Lyra was a little bit more airy but Shelter had more weight.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:34 AM   #5462
diyAudio Member

Tango are big word & expensive, if you will use SSHV you don't need the choke for B+ & I think that Rod's Colleman filament CCS don't need the choke....BTW for Tango main Tx wich model exactly must be for #26 pre & where you will buy to be cheap?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:38 AM   #5463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
Just checked. Hiss at full volum is very low, audible only at the horns. At the listening position you are hard pressed to hear something. of course DCB1 has no gain. Pot is a DACT 10K.
Merlin, transformer is a custom toroidal 310x2 150VA (Don't go lower on VA rating. You can use lower voltage though). Filtering is LCLC and then two Salas HV shunts. Heating with 2 EI 30VA 2x6 transformers and coleman's regulator. For output and anode load LC or LL1660. Haven't decide yet, as I have the anode chokes, but want the lower output impedance of the transformer. Tubes from ebay. Most of the parts are from my previous 12b4a pre.
Regarding 901, I like it very much. Much better than a Denon 103 with wooden body I have. Also from my distant memory compared with Lyra Helicon, Lyra was a little bit more airy but Shelter had more weight.
Thanks for the info vgeorge, it's very useful for me.

Happy Christmas to everybody
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:41 AM   #5464
diyAudio Member

Tango and cheap do not go together! You could try EILF in Japan.
I was using LL1667 anode chokes and was happy with them.
Even with SSHV you need either a resistor, choke or transformer load.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:25 PM   #5465
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Tango TC-160-15W (160 H, 15 mA, 1160 ohms) anode choke is just enough. 116USD ea. + shipping at Eilf
O/p xfrms are >50% more expensive. Pw xfrm has to be custom IMO.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:29 PM   #5466
diyAudio Member

@vgeorge
Acoustic Dimension in The Netherlands also have Tango, link: Acoustic-Dimension, high-end audio and components for tube audio

@massimo
Tango choke cost in Acoustic Dimension 155€00 taxes included & not shipping included.

For mains wich Tango I need?

Last edited by merlin el mago; 22nd December 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:42 PM   #5467
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
All I can say is that the sound is very dynamic and sweet at the same time..............Estimated sensitivity around 104-105 db.
what Power and gain in the Power amps?
I'd guess that a 10W amplifier will give peaks around 110dB @ 2.5m listening distance.

You could just about manage with a low gain headphone amp capable of driving 8ohm speakers.

What does the output noise measure with the gain set to zero and at maximum? Use an ordinary DMM set to 200.0mVac for reference to what most DIYers have available.
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:05 PM   #5468
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
what Power and gain in the Power amps?
I'd guess that a 10W amplifier will give peaks around 110dB @ 2.5m listening distance.

You could just about manage with a low gain headphone amp capable of driving 8ohm speakers.

What does the output noise measure with the gain set to zero and at maximum? Use an ordinary DMM set to 200.0mVac for reference to what most DIYers have available.
As I said before, I am using DCB1 and F5, so total gain 15dB (My tube pre is undergoing magor reconstruction now). The problem - for a headphone amp - is that I have around 4 ohm below 1kHz in my speakers. As the woofers are wired in parallel. If I wire them in series I get around 16 Ohm, but around 101dB sensitivity. Plan is to make a low watt tube power amp a for next year.

I will measure later when I can and let you know.

Last edited by vgeorge; 22nd December 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:10 PM   #5469
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is it achieving room filling power as a system with the TT and its now total gain structure? How many m2? Do you have a full room pic?
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:19 PM   #5470
diyAudio Member

My room is 7,3 x 5,50 m, so around 40 sq m.
Right now I have much more power than I need. I would prefer a ittle more gain on the pre. Not that run out of it with DCB1, but is marginal.
I think I can get away with 2 watts with a SE tube, but with the right output transformer.
Let me take some better pictures later to show you.

Last edited by vgeorge; 22nd December 2010 at 01:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!