Simplistic NJFET RIAA

The 2SK369BL and 2SK170's provided are all measured and marked.
The 2SK369BL's will go from 10mv-14mv marked to the .01v as actually
measured under my bench conditions. They should be well matched. Other numbers are certainly there for index sorting on a spreadsheet to give best match.

Dont forget to order the correct R2,R3 resistors in accordance to the build guide. They are not included in my Riaa minikits.

The 2SK170BLs need to be placed accordance to build guide.

Q4 for the one measured between 8.2-8.5, Q5 is between 7.5-8.2, Q6 measures usually above 9mv, but certainly greater than Q4 as specified.

Hi Tea Bag,

I sent my inquiry prior mini-kit arrival just to be 100% sure.
Now I got it and I see how well its organized. Thank you.
All 2SK369BL's measured and I see all results clearly.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ok last question for today: I have some Black Gate STD 330uf 50v. I understand that C1x has noise filtering purpose. If i use the BG will i be compromising the performance of the circuit?

Not perceptibly. 330uF is near enough to 470uF for that purpose in that position. But do measure them because they are old production. Electrolytics with raised dissipation factor show unusually low uF reading below their nominal tolerance for instance.

transformers.

There was a time when the thought was you could not have too much storage capacitance in a power supply.

Then there came the revisionists who found that too much slowed down the supply and made the supplied circuit sound sluggish.

I was surmising that something like this could just as easily apply to transformers and we, me, most of all included, should consider all aspects of a component.

Nothing easier than buying the biggest transformer you can find and being able to rest assured that THAT is done. Unfortunately, I bet it is NOT than easy.

Nobody wants an easy upgrade more than I, in fact, I want them too badly and can easily lead myself into delusion. The tweak I want to work so badly that I believe it more than can hear it.

When Mr. Salas dismissed the over-specified transformers my comment was trying to see from his perspective. The more I thought about it the more it occurred to me that some of my audio shibboleths are just that.

The irony is the only way to know is to build the circuit and insert a variety of transformers OF THE SAME VOLTAGE but of varying VA and listen to each one long enough to really get its measure.

Being a lazy man I will begin with the ANTEK 100 VA and stick with that until my ear/brain wants to hear something slightly different.

Sorry my post was not clear. But I feel confident, as with everything else, there is a best point on the curve. I will be happy just getting close to it.

Here is an interesting link (from AA) giving a good explanation why a larger-VA transformer sounds better:

Well, Abe... - 1973shovel - Tweakers' Asylum

Regards,

Andy