Simplistic NJFET RIAA

That is exactly what I was referring to.

What do you mean about capacitance being a diff animal ?

I thought he meant that quality of capacitors and other factors and by-passing, etc., other than just the amount of capacitance, affect the sound.
With Transformers we are talking about using a quality transformer, but upping the VA rating, not the voltage.

Rush

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anything that gives 43-50VDC at about 5W consumption per channel including the bleeders goes. Choke input can be a smoothie, but you are to decide against simple C filtering. Make the main phono first, level & adjust the TT thoroughly, check the treble level for VTA, cart resistor value loading, and C2+C2Y combination, let it play for 48 hours and then compare & tune the PSU config to your liking.

Anything that gives 43-50VDC at about 5W consumption per channel including the bleeders goes. Choke input can be a smoothie.

That makes about 100 mA per choke wich I guess needs at least the double specs considering being first shockabsorber. Advantage could be that it takes some HF and rectifier noice away that a CSS and shunt could have harder to handle. A bit above the rooftop but there was an esotheric discussion about transformers here and this would be my 2c to overkill that.

That makes about 100 mA per choke wich I guess needs at least the double specs considering being first shockabsorber. Advantage could be that it takes some HF and rectifier noice away that a CSS and shunt could have harder to handle. A bit above the rooftop but there was an esotheric discussion about transformers here and this would be my 2c to overkill that.

Filtering HF, including the rectifying diodes switching noise, isn't overkill to my view.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Hi Stajo

What choke values would you suggest in this case ?

Hi Stajo

What choke values would you suggest in this case ?

Well, my preference in this case would be a pair of common mode chokes and I havent scanned availiability on those specs but a pair of single chokes like Hammond 156R could be worth a try without ruining one self. 1,5H, 200 mA and a DCR of 56R. Last value might force us up on even higher voltage trafo, dunno, I havent had time to calculate. I will, just for fun, maybe tomorrow, my schedule is kind of busy atm.

Do you mean, higher VA based on circuit recommend VA = > low frequency < high frequency?

Just asking

I think it is fairly well accepted that the bigger transformer will have better bass but one has to wonder if there is a loss elsewhere and I bet there is.

Just as has been found that an unlimited amount of supply capacitance is not a panacea. Makes me think going too far overboard with the power transformer for anything but a 100 hz low pass electronic crossover is probably not a good idea for a wideband device.

My capacitance comment was about capacitors not the

transformers.

There was a time when the thought was you could not have too much storage capacitance in a power supply.

Then there came the revisionists who found that too much slowed down the supply and made the supplied circuit sound sluggish.

I was surmising that something like this could just as easily apply to transformers and we, me, most of all included, should consider all aspects of a component.

Nothing easier than buying the biggest transformer you can find and being able to rest assured that THAT is done. Unfortunately, I bet it is NOT than easy.

Nobody wants an easy upgrade more than I, in fact, I want them too badly and can easily lead myself into delusion. The tweak I want to work so badly that I believe it more than can hear it.

When Mr. Salas dismissed the over-specified transformers my comment was trying to see from his perspective. The more I thought about it the more it occurred to me that some of my audio shibboleths are just that.

The irony is the only way to know is to build the circuit and insert a variety of transformers OF THE SAME VOLTAGE but of varying VA and listen to each one long enough to really get its measure.

Being a lazy man I will begin with the ANTEK 100 VA and stick with that until my ear/brain wants to hear something slightly different.

Sorry my post was not clear. But I feel confident, as with everything else, there is a best point on the curve. I will be happy just getting close to it.

Hi Salas,

I have a couple questions about the setup from Folded manual:
1. What setup should I pick if my cartridge ("Ply" - made by Micro Benz for Wilson and Benesch TT) has 0.58mV - 1.58mV output with 10R-47K recommended load? It's in-between suggested in manual gain setup (from manual: 0.8-1mV and 2-2.5mV)?
2. What is TP1/TP2. Can't find such terminology. Are these points as I marked in my drawing (attached picture)?
3. I do you know if quad of 2SK369BL in mini-kit are matched? I got a quad of these as a kit from Mike. If not, I see the matching method recommendation in your BIB manual and it is easier than in Folded manual. No need to use any resistor. Can we use that simple method described via link in BIB manual for 2KS369BL and 2SK170BL?
4. 2SA970BL - I can see plenty of these on internet. It is make sense to get these since they are "much" better then BC560C?
Thank you

Attachments

• TP1_2.jpg
    TP1_2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. You should choose midway where it gives about 1mV and use the second option build setting circa 56dB gain phono. That should give good level and SNR.

2. Its test point 1&2. You probe across and you set V by following the guide steps for recommended readings.

3. From what I know Mike only offers a limited quantity of matched 369s. Else it would be of no use to send just four. It takes a whole batch to arrive at 2 or 4 well matched ones. You can use that method for any JFET type to check its IDSS, yes. Beware of accidental shorts that can blow your DMM mA fuse in that simpler method though.

4. 2SA970BL is better than BC560C for linearity, still not greatly better at the bias point used in the phono, it has 3 times less the internal resistance though, but half the HFE usually, and you could get a couple to listen to after you had listened with 560C and decide yourself if you can perceive a difference and what you prefer. Use the BC560C Fairchild that comes from a big vendor firstly anyway because you never know without a curve tracer and an original to compare if the Ebay 2SA970 will be a fake even.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The photo in your link hints to original. More than that don't know. HFE much more than 400 in BL is unlikely to chance on though. Get some to compare, no harm. That is why I put the optional position for Japanese low noise types, for builders to have some fun. Don't forget to remove the 560s when you will do that. Its using either type alone, not both.