Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Today I listened to the 4 x k170 build in a friend's system and found it to have more output on one side.... I did not notice it at home because mypreamp has two pots.

I need to verify the gain of both channels... I will input a 1Hz signal from a pc and measure the input/output voltage difference.... How much voltage can I input ? 1mV ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You got to verify his cartridge channel balance as much. Azimuth and anti-skating can be very influential. Make 1:200 1K:5R L pad and verify 200mV RMS sinewave on its input at 1kHz. That will ensure 1mV low impedance & low noise feed to your channels. Then you can measure their outputs and see for possible differences.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am very pleased....

Right Vin 1mV Vout 1.78V 65B
Left Vin 1mV Vout 1.8V 65.1dB

The problem lies elsewhere... next time I will invert channels and see...

I still have an issue, as I am using V12r shunts that take a while to reach 35v, I must leave the rig on for a while otherwise I do not get the folded cascode to work....

Sound only starts to happen after the shunts deliver more than 34v....

Appart from that, it plays tunes wonderfully... Just need to get a little more trebble reducing the trebble cap... just a bit (50p maybe)

Siemens Ks in exact values. Reasonable price and very well regarded polystyrenes, mostly due to tight winding and superior quality control. Or so i have heard. I will focus my playing with the output cap.

As you know, I very much like your philosophy. Not trying to improve anything. Just tweaking to my ears, as these designs seem well suited for.

Fascinating discussion eventualy I will start on this In the mean time from mentioning the Siemens KS I have found this link
Audio - My way: THE CONDENSER, A SOUND-DETERMINING ELEMENT (ang)
and This
http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Please do carry on :drink:

Last edited:
Thanks Bk. If you get around to the Folded Simplistic, you will enjoy the cap topic. I am picking my RIAA caps for stability and precision, but the coupling caps are where things get interesting. I have had three different caps in the folded and they all have distinct flavor. I wont say sound for fear of being stoned, but will agrre that each "distorts" the sound in its own special way:D. I bought the MPP R3, but built this first. It sounds good enough to me that I have absolutely no desire to build another and find myself having trouble getting motivated to finish the MPP, despite the positive reviews. I will build the 369 version of the folded next and that is where more cap rolling will happen. I have Russian Teflons, Russian PIO, larger value SIO, Clarity MR, and Obbbligato Gold and Oil. If I could describe this phono, I would say it is a tweakers(caps) dream. The base Salas has given us is solid and has stunning performance. The ability to tweak the sound with caps is just a bonus.

You welcome buzz.

I had Salas Simplistic running for a bit and now Paradise R2
As Salas said a while ago Pear and Orranges
Simplistic wuld not let me play same poorly recorded material Paradise R2 does not have the stage width and depth of the Simplistic. both do other things realy well

(Those purely personal opinions and based on my listening enviroment and set up whit the component choices I have made. if you want to stone me you welcome to try.)

I am anghing back with the R3 boards as well because I think that there is much more to be had out of the Paradise.

The folded is definetley my next project. I am listening, so please do carry on.
And Tankyou

Bksabath,
Completely OT. Sorry Salas. I was not a big fan of F5. F5T is better amp in everyway for me. Not saying its is the diodes, as I think it probably has more to do with multiple pairs. Being one who believes in system synergy, I think i found a killer combo. I recently purchased an M Audio 192, mainly for balanced distortion testing. Just for hoots, I hooked up F5T directly to card, using puter with JRiver upsampling all recordings to 24/192 output. WOW! Completely changed the sound of the system. If you like F5. You gotta try direct out from this card(AKM Dac)

Sorry OT
I like the idea of F5T after all one don't like to have car that does 50 MPH top and run all the time with pedal to the metal
soon ........(I said that one year ago) I am going to change my twin F5 to to balanced F5 triple. then maybe a Turbo with 50 V rails. But when? I got to get source sorted first and that for me is Vinyl original prints pre digital deffffffffffffffffo
I am not going to get in to digital argument I got Iplod and listen to SD card while I drive

Sorry about missing out telling you about Audiophile 192 I have one and it will not go over 96 .

And for testing 50 Hz at -80 dB is the best I can get maybe mother board messing things up
Same external cards for same price point can do better

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/232364-soundcard-performance-realistic.html