Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am back with the usual news.... Today I finished a new rectifier / smoother board for the 64dB folded.... The replaced one had one 470 ELNA silmic (the real thing), plus a 1r 10w followed by an ELNA "for audio" 10000u 80v built in Thailand caps that I got from a friend, paralleled by a small 470uBG.... Not bad but the complexity of this CRC thing did not convince me.... so I opened my purse (a little) and ordered the Jensen 4 pole 15000uF caps that I installed alone just after the hexfred rectifiers...... Detail... smoothness... silence.... everything came into place at once....

Do not know if other 4 poles work this way, but these are quite something :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Joachim said he likes Mundorf AG 4pole. Used Sikorels in second build for brother and noticed change over Nichicon KG, but we are getting into the black.
Black ? What do you mean ?

The simplistic is prone to be affected by the simplest of things.... Even caps in the rectifier board can produce outstanding differences... this is not new to some of us.

Do you need Sikorels ?
I have access to 1000nds, NOS.
I did not say that i like the Mundorf 4 poles, i said that i use them all the time.
I do not " like " parts in general. It is the way i use them and how i try to get the benefits that particular part has to offer. I know, this is hair splitting.

My apologies. I should have said you mentioned them. I would love some, but price has gone through the roof. I got the 3.3mF that I currently have at a reasonable rate. A guy on Ebay bought he rest of the sellers stock and tripled the price.

@RCruz
When I say black, I mean the subjective end of audio. I agree with you as to the effect of parts, especially in a design such as this.

With the Sikorels you can do a little trick. Take two of them and put a 0.22 Ohm ( that is for a 10.000uF cap ) resistor between. That way you can roll your own " 4 pole ", not really, but it helps the ripple rejection quite a lot. For smaller cap values you can use bigger size resistors. Make sure that the resistor does not burn too much voltage and has enough wattage that it does not get too hot.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
That is a very good tip regarding ripple supression... but in this case, and using this type of shunts, I found that CRC somehow muffles the sound.... similar to using a mains filter (well not so much)....

Good rectifiers followed by simple caps always produced the best results for me... Once I put two 4 poles in series and the result was really bad....

I only use CRC when I need to drop some voltage.... but I really do not like the result