Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 451 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2010, 09:44 PM   #4501
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

How do you perceive its tone subjectively with real records? Did you let it play a bit from yesterday? Is it balanced across?
Old 19th August 2010, 09:48 PM   #4502
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

From my humble point of view, it looks like it sings already !

Did you try micas in the riaa before the actual polistyrenes ? If so, what are the subjective differences ?
Old 19th August 2010, 09:49 PM   #4503
diyAudio Member

I played it quite abit last night, but not today, I will later when I rturn again. It is not bad sounding. Initially I was not impressed and almost wished that I left the WIMAs in. It had no bass at first, but that changed as the night went on.

I let it run with strong pink noise signal for the last couple of hours. I will let you know tonight.

Channels are close in timbre to each other.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:50 PM   #4504
diyAudio Member

No, I don't have big micas, just a collection of small ones that I purchased for GNFB tuning.
Later I may consider micas or teflon but have to relook at line level preamp first.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:55 PM   #4505
diyAudio Chief Moderator

How do you derive the horizontal FR line on the graph?
Old 19th August 2010, 11:55 PM   #4506
diyAudio Member

Please ignore, That is channel 2 which is not corrected. I didn't disable it.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:46 AM   #4507
diyAudio Member

Attached is the freq response of the measuring system with the voltage divider load on it. Output (with load) into the input. Looking at the high side if the divider.

Verdict still out on the sound. I can say that I won't pull the new caps out anytime soon. Nor do I want to tweek it for a little while unless something is obvious wrong. RIAA curve looked identical to yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg response straight through corrected.jpg (133.1 KB, 182 views)
Old 20th August 2010, 07:49 AM   #4508
diyAudio Member

@SGregory
I only suggest to use polysterene or better teflon if posible foil in the small RIAA cap (highs) in the big cap (mids-lows) I suggest SM or better teflon if possible foil.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 20th August 2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:53 AM   #4509
diyAudio Member

Thanks Merlin.
I will look for the opportunity to experiment in a short period. Your insight and experience here regarding cap type is well regarded.

In it current configuration, I find the overall system detail to have gone up a notch or two. Sound stage is solid and depth is very good. These caps imho are better than the original WIMA. My kids and family agree. I certainly can listen to it for an extended period of time.
Old 20th August 2010, 02:04 PM   #4510
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Did the tone come back to neutral with those as well? Some arms will not produce the same hf energy with some mc. VTA play, and last resort tweaking of the hf Riaa cap's value isn't out of the plan. But the cart has to break in before final VTF/VTA also.

P.S. I have made a mini subjective comparative survey rather recently, mainly to examine C0Gs for the Riaa filter. I had used a DCB1 with 2 outputs. One I kept DC, the other I was connecting several caps, MKP10 and FKP1 amongst them. Also PIOs (Jensen copper foil, K40, K75 mylar&paper in oil), PP,TF Solen, Auricap, Cog 33nx3//, and a few others, also some bypassing tests with FT-1 22n.
I was listening to DC vs capacitors forth and back. The DCB1 has this trait that is not aggressive at all but has bags of detail, so those caps did not have to balance out tone to be picked as more suitable. I was just looking for nearest to DC. The Wima seemed as the most synthetic to me. FT-3 was very neutral and nearest to DC for detail and size. The K70 120n Polystyrene was great, it only loses size and projection. The C0G/NP0 was like good silver Mica, but a bit cleaner.

Hide this!Advertise here!