Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz, Could you point me to the schematic that you are working with.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-839.html#post3221512

Its in conjunction with how fast the PSU settles and how fast the bias in the input JFET(s) settles. Could speed up if it was a BIB powering.

It would need enough modifications for 369s. I already posted a 57dB using just one. Which is same noise as with 2xK170 with an advantage in the mids to lows 1/F area though. Two would make it too strong for your carts. VGeorge hit on fakes on first try sourcing on ebay he told me.
It seems quite easy looking at the schematic: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-802.html#post3167648

Maybe changing R13 and R2.....

PS: Thank you Vgeorge

Last edited:
Would a "test" version of one (not stereo) of these circuits be a good way of identifying good low noise versions of the 2sk170 ready for assembling the first stage of the stereo versions?

Which version would be more selective in identifying the slightly noisier jFETs to be put into the second stage, or not to be used at all?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Would a "test" version of one (not stereo) of these circuits be a good way of identifying good low noise versions of the 2sk170 ready for assembling the first stage of the stereo versions?

Which version would be more selective in identifying the slightly noisier jFETs to be put into the second stage, or not to be used at all?

Maybe for noise only.... of course other aspects like sounstage width and imagery could not be evaluated and these are the strongests points of thiese designs.

Maybe for noise only.... of course other aspects like sounstage width and imagery could not be evaluated and these are the strongests points of thiese designs.
I am talking about noise selection.

Many report that the K170 and F862 have different noise.

For a high gain Riaa stage maybe the noisy jFETs should not be used in the first stage.

If this is the case, then we should be selecting out the noisy devices so that they don't get used in the first stage.

Then we can fine tune the gains/EQ to get the final sound required.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I believe it is a good idea to compare ifferent types of jfets for the input, but as using different jfets with different transcondutances would need also different values for Rs and other parts, I do not know if it would be conclusive.

Anyway, I never detected differences in noise using 2SK170BL. In my builds I believe the differences in noise come principaly from the value and type of Rs used.

In this case, using two k170 in parallel with much lower Rs really made the difference.... This 60dB build is even lower noise than the bjt build I did previously.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The folded cascode first stage can give times hundred. If enclosed in copper shielding and better be powered by floating means, maybe a battery array, so to even isolate the ground it refers to, it could do for amplifying the equivalent input noise of JFETs for a handy nVrtHz characterization jig.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok... this seems a nice idea... maybe I could build something like that... maybe it could be used to feed a pc soundcard so we could "see" the noise instead of merely try to determine differences by ear.

I need something to read about folded cascodes... would you point me a good link ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would use 3 female pins base for exchanging Q1 as DUT, a higher source resistor to accommodate wider IDSS, say 10R factoring its noise in. It would take centering at 1/2 the LEDs + Vbe with the trimmer each time, or a steady resistor and variable PSU. By comparing the total amplified output noise each time, the DUT could be relatively characterized.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those are high IDSS fast choppers that would lead in high source resistance values to control the voltage drops for logical supplies in a circuit like here. Low gfs hence noisier than other options. Good for sampling and fast switching or low drift CCS in an amp's VAS or something.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wrench had a series of great concepts basing on American chopper FETs for MM. That linked one maybe I missed, I will read it again to refresh. Not best applicable for circa 60dB gains and noise levels established here IMHO. Still folding is just another circuitry technique not specific parts related. Can be done with anything and as everything in electronics must be judged to best integration and spec. Roender had it in his amp's input stage with Japanese FETs for instance, and so on and so forth.