Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
First issue might be:

I am using a shunt that takes very long time to reach the desired 35Vout (tempco effect)

Starting at 33.5V, voltage at emitter of bc560c is allready 8v but only 2.5v at the collector.

I can only reach 4v there when the shunts output 35v....

Now I will be working on the riaa filter... let´s see how it sounds after

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Heftier, but less resolute is Goldring, I suppose?
Yes Rondo Red is flirting, although at some 100 euros more as Benz Silver.

Have you ever came across this one Ortofon MC 25 FL

Yes the Goldring.

Yes, MC25FL is (was?) even better, smoother than the Rondo Red.

In general a cart is a personal taste thing and can yield different results easily regarding each TT synergy and set up, or even having something that other elements in a system are lacking or having in excess, like complimenting the speakers for instance. Beyond Denon DL103 or DL103R which is a cart with so classic sound that not many seem to totally discard its difficult to put the finger in the low to mid price range without experiencing the asking system for real. Add Dynavector 10X5 in the top dogs HMC list. Major strength is having a DIY tweak phono to press them in right tonal service. If establishing the right tone in a system, then the other strengths or blemishes are of lesser order.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
First issue might be:

I am using a shunt that takes very long time to reach the desired 35Vout (tempco effect)

Starting at 33.5V, voltage at emitter of bc560c is allready 8v but only 2.5v at the collector.

I can only reach 4v there when the shunts output 35v....

Now I will be working on the riaa filter... let´s see how it sounds after

It reacts normally for collector voltage, wait for 35V as a warm up period also or put a 2SK117GR or BF245A in the PSU's ref that settles faster.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes the Goldring.

Yes, MC25FL is even better, smoother than the Rondo Red.

In general a cart is a personal taste thing and can yield different results easily regarding each TT synergy and set up, or even having something that other elements in a system are lacking or having in excess, like complimenting the speakers for instance. Beyond Denon DL103 or DL103R which is a cart with so classic sound that not many seem to totally discard its difficult to put the finger in the low to mid price range without experiencing the asking system for real. Add Dynavector 10X5 in the top dogs HMC list. Major strength is having a DIY tweak phono to press them in right tonal service. If establishing the right tone in a system, then the other strengths or blemishes are of lesser order.

And MC25FL is less in $ compared to Rondo Red...

I could easily go for 103R, but I'm afraid it's not the best match for RB300. That's why I continue to scout.

I agree, a cartridge is very ears and system dependant. Thus, as a tool for the right tone, Simplistic RIAA is always very tempting. Though, a right TT and cartridge needs to be set up and established in a system first, I suppose.

PS. I think, I remember you saying Dyna 10X5 sounded brighter then life. Again, that might be system dependent.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Previous guise 10X4 that I got could have some brightness tendencies, 10X5 is easier to match IMHO.

Attachments

• Dyna10X4MKII.jpg
    Dyna10X4MKII.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 219
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Rehousing a 103R might be a choice. But only if it helps to match the arm. I would never now, until done and tested. BTW, some people mount them stock on RB300 and are quite happy about it.

Approaching SPUs, I'm quite sure they are not for my kind of arms. Even NE. I've been told, the N series are normally used to refresh a dead or dying SPU, and some finagling with spacers is necessary to get them to work on a conventional headshell.

So for the high price point Benz ACE L or going for 12" arm + classic SPU might be a better option. Never ending, indeed.