Simplistic NJFET RIAA

If we take psycho acoustics into account your direct couple B1 is damned good and i trust that simpler is better provided that distortion is under the audible threshold. We try to make a better one in another thread that will be opened but it is not that simple any more.
Making the current gain amplifying device into fooling to not see any variable is the goal.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am now preparing myself to build the V12R shunts for the cascoded simplistic.
As I will need 35V, and using 56kr for R11 (The voltage setting resistor in the V12R) I will need to set the k170 uder it to produce around 0.34mA.

But I have been looking at the 2SK170 datasheet and it seems that working at such a lo current the jfet might produce audible noise.

Reducing R11 to 30k the current goes up to 1.15mA and that improves the noise fugure but I know that reducing R11 also produces more Zo at very low frequencies...

I would really apreciate your comments regarding my assumptions.

Attachments

• 2sk170 noise.png
    2sk170 noise.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 265
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I would really apreciate your comments regarding my assumptions.

Look to the right hand diagram, Rg (trimmer) is on your side. You can use 27K Vref there even. Increasing the ref filtering cap is the main weapon against 1/f noise in general but with the quality components I see in your pic above it can be costly. Luckily rumble filtering response shape suppresses subsonic 1/f also.

P.S. Which gain setting is the one in the pic and what you cooked better components wise?

PS:
My most recent Simplistic build.... a real contender.... Bass is now up to the bjt specimen I have been playing with, but stage size, mids and trebble are incomparable.

I am getting experienced.

That looks realy good altrought expensive must be £300 in Caps ?

Parts boom and sonic signature of components would be realy apreciated.

Me was thinking about choosing 3 or 4 records and cooment on those ...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Initialy I just swaped the output caps. I had 4u7 obbligatos and now I have those uge Clarity. I imediately noticed a uge increase in high freq definition, stage size and extension.

Then I swaped the Mundorf MKP in the output zobel of the V12R by the obbligatos and everything became more refined. Finally I bypassed those obbligatos in the zobel with 15p SM and bingo.... Super sweet with just a little bit of high freq sparkle.

As a bonus, bass became more detailed letting us hear lower freq info that was buried before.

Total cost of the upgrade was around 100euros (the cost of the clarity caps)

I will listen to some records and let you know my subjective opinion bksabath.

This build has 48dB at 28V. It was already so good I believed it could stand this cap upgrade. Now it is really incredible.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Initialy I just swaped the output caps. I had 4u7 obbligatos and now I have those uge Clarity. I imediately noticed a uge increase in high freq definition, stage size and extension.

Then I swaped the Mundorf MKP in the output zobel of the V12R by the obbligatos and everything became more refined. Finally I bypassed those obbligatos in the zobel with 15p SM and bingo.... Super sweet with just a little bit of high freq sparkle.

As a bonus, bass became more detailed letting us hear lower freq info that was buried before.

Total cost of the upgrade was around 100euros (the cost of the clarity caps)

I will listen to some records and let you know my subjective opinion bksabath.

This build has 48dB at 28V. It was already so good I believed it could stand this cap upgrade. Now it is really incredible.

Are those Clarity caps their expensive MR range?

I have in my build M Caps Supreme (2,2 uF nothing to expensive so far) I have noticed that those suffer from microphone effect; if you tap them they produce noise at the output.
Which is no good IMO
I was wondering if this is common around the Mundorf range and if this is common with large "designer" caps.

I look forward to get your impressions and was wondering if we can pick a few records that we could all use and compare with.
I found one (got it new in sealed box last Thursday) that has quite a few nice passages of guitar pretty well recorded and same other passages where stage spatiality is at the forefront.

And may be worth a few bobs in the future....

Attachments

• FOUND records 001.jpg
    FOUND records 001.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 277
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
These are MR.

Not so expensive as the Mundorf SGO but quite good.

I have used SGO for that build I had made for my friend with the Euro12K cart, I did not find them impressively better than their lower supremes price wise. More refined but not 160Euro refined he payed them. The MR have some back up of scientific research at Salford Uni non the less.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have in my build M Caps Supreme (2,2 uF nothing to expensive so far) I have noticed that those suffer from microphone effect; if you tap them they produce noise at the output.
Which is no good IMO
I was wondering if this is common around the Mundorf range and if this is common with large "designer" caps.

Could be with big caps. We should tap them when connected on the scope alone. Because if we tap them phono connected, maybe other stuff rings on the high gain board too.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Comparing the MR with the obbligatos, I really find them much more detailed enabling a wider soundstage. Costly but effective indeed.

This proves that the Simplistic is so good it can benefit from better components.

As I recently swaped my 16x preamp by the DCB1, I need a bit more gain in the front end... that is why I am building the new cascoded simplistic :)

It will take some time because my budget is now scarce but in the end it will contribute to my experience.

As you know, I recently built a bjt transimpedance / current amp riaa and I did it mostly because I needed to know how far could we go from the utter simplicity.... and what subjective quality gains could we get with such a complex design.... Now I know :)