Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Get the HFNRR test record. Its very revealing of antiskating bias, high modulation tracking, cart-arm resonance etc. Have you got too much treble in general, or is it of transient nature like sibilance only? Have you got any magnification means to check the diamond isn't grated or chipped?

Hi
where can I look for the source of the sibilance that I have? The rest of the components of my system can be ruled out as there is no sibilance when I play cds, for xmpl. I have Grado black that needs only 47k load according to manufacturer, no loading cap. I tried various loading caps from 10p to 250p but no luck. Instrumental music sounds fine, no extra hi range or it is less noticeable so it is no problem.But on some vocal inclusive vynils it really gets anoying.I'm sure this sibilance is not product of the preamp, yet I don't know where to look for the cure any more. Apart from the preamp, what else can introduce this nasty distortion?
As far as I understand 100n cap in the preamp is not part of the RIAA, it is just DC block?
Thank you

I have noticed poor record quality in the sibilance (vocals) of modern vinyl records these days in the USA. Adele21 is unlistenable to me. I took it to my local hifi shop and played it with a $10,000 turntable/arm/cartridge, Ayre pre-amp and power amps, Wilson Audio speakers. Could listen to it there either.
Try an older recording and see what it is like.

Rush

Last edited:
Had anybody tested this kind of gadgets? A 200X or something wand type a friend got was grainy enough.

USB microscope gadget.

You can't hand hold anything over 10x (without the vibrations and motion blurring the object), so the stiffness of the scope's mount and the relationship of the object to the scope becomes more important than the optics at 200x. Every time you touch the scope to adjust the zoom or focus or snap a photo the scope will vibrate and blur the image. Think of why a microscope is built the way it is.
If the scope was purely software driven, focus, zoom, snapshot, would go a long way to make this better.
It is probably not useful for more than the minimum 20x to 30x, but that maybe enough and it looks like a fun toy. You could certainly fabricate a better mount and a way to move the image across the field of view smoothly.

Rush

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Connected today the Simplistic Low MC pre-pre left channel big buzz right channel without sound:mad:, no music:confused:

Wich steps have I to follow to fix the issue?

N.B. MM where is connected the MC pre-pre is going on OK is tested before.

You had shown perfect signal with scope tests. Test again that way to see if something got broken meantime.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas just opened I see the left output signal wire desoldered:eek: that was the cause of high buzz in the left channel, I connect again to MM to see what's happen.

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 223