Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anyway they should be around 0.6V at those positions. 6.8R R1 per channel is conservative but fine then. Spare/load ~50/50.
60-70C on the cascode transistors with just~20mW each is weird though. But you say there is no oscillation. Local oscillation could make them hot. Or they are squeezed next to something hot?

P.S. Read that article and test the loading a bit more first because I mainly afraid the MM cart's termination. Also a photo would be nice.

I've built a PSU LM317 based and played a little bit with loading and found optimal around 35-45k. Also i tried different capacitors but not so much differences in sound so i installed 220pf.
Now the harshness is gone but still sounds clinical, analitic weak bass.
I also tried different capacitors for output cap and the 47nf interstage cap but nothing changed audible.

I want to thank for the pcb layout found in the zip package, helped me not to try to reinvent a new layout.

Attachments

• montaj preamp Salas.jpg
    montaj preamp Salas.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 271
The 680pf are wima green saved from a defective equipment with 2,5% tolerance. I guess they are FKP2 Polyprop. On them is written W4.
The output ones i dont know what type they are, nothing written on them.

Is that right silver mica is the same with styroflex? I have some 1nf in my drawer.
Like this one : http://www.adelaida.ro/images/Kituri/2009_2/stiroflex-100x80.jpg

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 680pf are wima green saved from a defective equipment with 2,5% tolerance. I guess they are FKP2 Polyprop. On them is written W4.
The output ones i dont know what type they are, nothing written on them.

Is that right silver mica is the same with styroflex? I have some 1nf in my drawer.
Like this one : http://www.adelaida.ro/images/Kituri/2009_2/stiroflex-100x80.jpg

No, they aren't the same, mica is a mineral, styroflex is polysterene. But use those 1n you got bcs I am afraid that the real combo value now is below 15n6. The output ones in your pic could be MKT for loudspeakers.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, both channels have the LEDs brightly lit and both measure very similarly.

If they are lit brightly and you see no oscillation on the rails with your oscope as you thoroughly described, then I have no way to suspect something else. Stick a metal Pi shaped leaf on top of those transistors with some resin to keep them cool at least.