Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Much difference only from that is a bit weird. Don't know if different types's impedance can do something with the way it shunts the 550's base, more than the actual value. Also not all K170s have the same noise in any batch. You could have hit on a noisier input stage one, provided all other things have been kept equal between the builds you refer to.

How can measure K170s noise?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In lab style by having the knowledge, and the very low noise special test circuit. Either examining on computer or dedicated analyser. In a practical phono as a simple diyer you just change it if the other channel has less hiss by much and it will hopefully be a better sample.

Salas,

I see that you added more to the document, I took a quick look at it.

I recommend that you start using a version tracking schema for the riaa circuit, just like you do for the shunt and follow it. Imagine 30, 50 or 100 pages down this thread, if someone would want to reference a riaa circuit, he is going to say : ... the one posted on post so and so.

When I get a chance I will take a closer look at the new document.

Pete

Simplistic RIAA meets the Real World.

Most DIY'rs have alot of well earned pride in the equipment they build whether it sounds great or not. (most of the time it does sound good, but it really isn't in the big leagues). There are quite a few exceptions to that statement however, and for those that have built or are considering building the Simplistic RIAA, take pride in what you have accomplished or are about to. And a very special Thank You to Salas for putting the design out here and supporting the INDIVIDUALS that are earnest and true amatuers in the diy community.

My pheonix turntable is an example of a good but not great sounding diy project. It is pretty on the stand however (per my wife). So I was in the market for a really good turntable and ran across an opportunity I couldn't turn down. I convinced the gentleman to allow me to audition the Simplistic against some of his well regarded head amps that he reps in the same setting as I was using to evaluate cartridges. I was a little nervous at first as I was going to be comparing it to the Esoteric E-03 and a Manley Steelhead RC Phono stage. After hearing those for a couple of hours while selecting a cartridge, I was very impressed with them.
When the time came to put the simplistic on it was immediately obvious that it is NO slouch. The simplistic was dead quite, and when the track started to play I found the dynamics to be much better, and the tonal balance to be excellent. IMO the music was alive and full of vibrance.

The owner, asked on several occasions if I really built this. In a paraphrase: "It is hard to imagine that something like this can be built at home". I think he was satisfied with that question when I opened it up and showed the pcboards with Salas's and my name on it. His comment on the sound was a little more reserved but honest in that the sound stage presentation was a few more rows back than the Esoteric but that he liked it alot. I perceived the difference as well and it wasn;t a negative just a difference. Loading resistor or the fact that it was till cold could play a big role. (Personally I think he knew at that point that he wasn't going to sell me a head amp:D)

To sum it up. The Simplistic is Top Shelf equipment, if done carefully, IMO, it is on the order of world class. It will have a very long term home in my system and is worthy of the table/arm/cartridge seen below.

Happy Building and a Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• TT Overview.JPG
    TT Overview.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Kleos Close-up.JPG
    Kleos Close-up.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 264
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Congratulations on your new TT and Lyra. Its impressive enough that a high end salesman at least did not trash the DIY phono out of hand, and used the rows analogy thing. Some could be very rejecting, not even allowing to hook up a DIY machine. I remember a story from a demo room that the salesman found as an excuse that a DIY could put the expensive system in danger, since it could be dodgy even, as he claimed to the DIYer who was using it for a year. But recordings have a certain miking perspective, and either the Esoteric or the Simplistic was nailing it, or they were both off centre. What did you perceive, in your own senses? If other parameters were different, like dynamics, details, or ambience, the perspective changes. Did you bring along records that you knew? I trust you better as a reviewer.:)

Thank you also for your detailed construction and measurements journey of your copy back then, it was quite interesting. Merry Christmas 2U2! Enjoy vinyl.

Yes I brought several of my own albums. What we compared headamps with was Sheffield Labs, Amanda McBroom and Lincoln Mayorga "Growing up in a Hollywood Town". Given that the album was miked stereo direct to disc, I feel that the Simplistic captured more of the hall ambiance. It seemed to have more air to it. Dynamics of the simplistic woke up my senses. It was solid from bass to highs.

The Esoteric was also very good. It had a bit more of a refined sound. Slightly better clarity in the highs. Regarding dynamics, I would not call it compressed or dead, it just didn't have the WOW dynamics that the simplistic left me with. (If you hadn't guessed by now I like dynamics ALOT). I'm suprised I havn't played with horns.

Both presented a good soundstage with excellent, stable imaging.

It is important to note that the cartridge was loaded at 400R on the Esoteric and 150R on the Simplistic. Both loadings are within acceptable for the cartridge. FYI I should also note that we did the head amp comparison with a Dynavector XX2 MKii cartridge and not the Lyra that I ended up purchasing.

The rest of the system was an Esoteric Line amp into Pass Lab XA30 to DyneAudio Saphire Speakers.

The Manley was nice but IMO it was at a distance to the Simplistic and Esoteric.
For the paticular seating it seemed to be sterile.

I have to be careful here as the comparison was short and not quite as apples to apples.

IMO from the previous trials listening to cartridges, the esoteric was the better headamp between the two.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just telling us an experience, not a real review of well regarded equipment, no worries. At home with the idler TT & Lyra cart, should be a warm musical Christmas. If the purchases really made a difference at home and the DIY phono is able to display them, then its mission accomplished IMHO. Thanks for all that info. 1.2R test sooner or later and maybe an 'Itch' for a different taste when that valve bug bites again.;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Most DIY'rs have alot of well earned pride in the equipment they build whether it sounds great or not. (most of the time it does sound good, but it really isn't in the big leagues). There are quite a few exceptions to that statement however, and for those that have built or are considering building the Simplistic RIAA, take pride in what you have accomplished or are about to. And a very special Thank You to Salas for putting the design out here and supporting the INDIVIDUALS that are earnest and true amatuers in the diy community.

My pheonix turntable is an example of a good but not great sounding diy project. It is pretty on the stand however (per my wife). So I was in the market for a really good turntable and ran across an opportunity I couldn't turn down. I convinced the gentleman to allow me to audition the Simplistic against some of his well regarded head amps that he reps in the same setting as I was using to evaluate cartridges. I was a little nervous at first as I was going to be comparing it to the Esoteric E-03 and a Manley Steelhead RC Phono stage. After hearing those for a couple of hours while selecting a cartridge, I was very impressed with them.
When the time came to put the simplistic on it was immediately obvious that it is NO slouch. The simplistic was dead quite, and when the track started to play I found the dynamics to be much better, and the tonal balance to be excellent. IMO the music was alive and full of vibrance.

The owner, asked on several occasions if I really built this. In a paraphrase: "It is hard to imagine that something like this can be built at home". I think he was satisfied with that question when I opened it up and showed the pcboards with Salas's and my name on it. His comment on the sound was a little more reserved but honest in that the sound stage presentation was a few more rows back than the Esoteric but that he liked it alot. I perceived the difference as well and it wasn;t a negative just a difference. Loading resistor or the fact that it was till cold could play a big role. (Personally I think he knew at that point that he wasn't going to sell me a head amp:D)

To sum it up. The Simplistic is Top Shelf equipment, if done carefully, IMO, it is on the order of world class. It will have a very long term home in my system and is worthy of the table/arm/cartridge seen below.

Happy Building and a Merry Christmas!

Congratulations SGregory nice system, I compared the Simplistic vs Linn Linto (considered one of the less noise in the market) & I prefer the Simplistic, thanks to share with us that you prefere the Simplistic vs Manley (very well regarded headamp) I didn't heard the Esoteric E-03 & I woul like to hear the Boulder or Borbely.

Merry Christmas & enjoy your nice art-work:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Congratulations SGregory nice system, I compared the Simplistic vs Linn Linto (considered one of the less noise in the market) & I prefer the Simplistic, thanks to share with us that you prefere the Simplistic vs Manley (very well regarded headamp) I didn't heard the Esoteric E-03 & I woul like to hear the Boulder or Borbely.

Merry Christmas & enjoy your nice art-work:)

I had the oportunity to compare the simplistic with an ASR Basis and the German machine was way below in spatiality and detail.

A friend of mine compared the simplistic with the Borbely and told me Salas machine presents a much wider soundstage :)

Hi SGregory,
brilliant...Which obbligados do you have in the output?
I first used obbligado premium (the golden ones) and have
now the tinfoil (black ones) in place. I like that one better.
@ Salas, sorry i have no working Digi-Cam at the moment.
Maybe Christmas will help ;-)
Parts i use are Takman resistors, russian Teflon, Obbigado
outputcap, Panasonic FM. Thats it.

Greetings and Thanks to everybody keeping this project
alive

Ulf