Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 269 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2009, 07:27 PM   #2681
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They look like good amps. I only had used Manley studio gear, and it was very good. Their vocal mic pre VoxBox was so much better than the Avalon. Only I had to repair it because it had fallen off a backstage rack. Just a phantom power switch damaged though. A worn out head amp valve too, but a new 12AX7LPS went in, and it rocked.
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:58 PM   #2682
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

My first listening impression using a sound card and a tube buffer before the amps is that they lack bass and have a too much trebble.... Maybe I will open a new thread on "how to mod a Manley"
Old 25th November 2009, 09:42 AM   #2683
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello again!
I've just been tuning into this thread once more. It's been many pages since I last posted, so I don't know what I may have missed.
Anyway, I'm now using a DL-103 (Aluminium body) with a step-up transformer into the 40+dB version that I previously used with the DL-110. Sounds good to me, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained by eliminating the transformer and making the 60dB version?
Old 25th November 2009, 01:17 PM   #2684
diyAudio Chief Moderator

A better transparency and a bit better SNR arguably, you eliminate much interconnect and winding wire, but it is a rather big effort and spare of resources if you already like the results and your transformer is notable and expensive. Tell me the turns ratio and termination resistor you use.
Old 25th November 2009, 01:28 PM   #2685
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas, thanks for your reply.
I'm using Altec 15095 line output transformers in reverse, so 150R:15k, but the loading I have on the output is less than 15K so the 103 is seeing around 100R.
Old 25th November 2009, 01:31 PM   #2686
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Did you ever try to load the 103 with say 470R reflected impedance? Its the 40 Ohm coils standard one must I presume?
Old 25th November 2009, 01:53 PM   #2687
diyAudio Member

Yes it's the standard 103, but I've removed the plastic body and put it in an aluminium shell. (Worthwhile improvement).
I've tried higher loading, but found that I like 100R best (which I think is what Denon recommends?) - the lower impedance gives more body to the sound
Old 25th November 2009, 02:04 PM   #2688
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They say 100R is minimum on their leaflet. Its true, the lower the load, the heavier they sound. With 40R source impedance we lose signal on 100R loading non the less. Maybe you have noticed that the output is stated always more than advertised, on the individually measured spec at 47k. But sometimes they tune carts on typical loads by judging their tone on such loads when they make them. 100R is a traditional load for MC. Give it that a system leans towards heavier or lighter tone, and everybody has a favorite load. Me I like it when I have balanced tone by not needing to load the cart less than 10:1 so I have all the signal, but if it needs to change so to balance out a system, then no worries. My 103R with 14R coils sounds just OK with 150R for instance in my system, and that is good for both considerations.
Old 25th November 2009, 03:03 PM   #2689
diyAudio Member

Hello Salas & Jonners

you've both the right opinions. My experience shows as well that step-up transformers and step-up amplifier stages are different in handling.

Please let me note that some audiophiles have the opinion to use the same load as the cartridge owns - here 40 ohms - which is in fact nothing more as the so called power matching. This was used in the past in radio stations and / or tone studios. I'd recommend to play with a potentiometer and find the best sonic value.

Maybe an additional stage with 20dB gain is the better solution when using a solid state phono stage.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:45 PM   #2690
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Two new 4 wire shunts ready for trial !!!

I could not set both for the same current due to differences in the leds.... One produces 260mA and the other 240... hope it does not affect the stereo presentation too much.

Hide this!Advertise here!