Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I have been experimenting with decoupling caps in my 48dB riaa and I am amazed by the results.... these caps influence tone (I knew that) but they also influence noise...

After replacing the 330u decoupling caps by 680u BG N, the noise went down to the point where I can no longer hear it..... Is it possible or is there any other reason ?

Do you use also Sala's shunt regulator?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ricardo you you have two possibilities depending what are you looking for:

1-Less noise can reached paralleling two BG N "L-Cancelling Pairs" so + one cap to - other cap, look for at the Michael Percy pdf. web

2-N series are very very low noise so very very transparents, if you like more body I will try BG standard 470uF 160V you will be near near heaven:)

Let me know?

Hi Merlin

I tryed SilmicII 470u and got those nice bass / upper bass but lacking snap in the highs.

Than I used 330u BG std as well as 470u BG std.... very similar results.... maybe 330 is a little faster but noise is equal to the Silmic.

When I swaped for the 680u BGN I got much lower noise.... incredible.... it is so silent I can turn the volume full up and almost hear nothing..... So I am wondering if another nonpolar might do the same.... Nichicon nonpolar are quite inexpensive.... do you know if those are ok ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

I tryed SilmicII 470u and got those nice bass / upper bass but lacking snap in the highs.

Than I used 330u BG std as well as 470u BG std.... very similar results.... maybe 330 is a little faster but noise is equal to the Silmic.

When I swaped for the 680u BGN I got much lower noise.... incredible.... it is so silent I can turn the volume full up and almost hear nothing..... So I am wondering if another nonpolar might do the same.... Nichicon nonpolar are quite inexpensive.... do you know if those are ok ?

I see you are looking for less noise so only I can suggest do it "L-Cancelling Pairs" with BG N series, you need only 4 caps more to try...

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• X2LMC.gif
    X2LMC.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 357