Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Help Desk

Hello Salas,
Let’s see if I have this correct? 2N5459 Q7 in the DT CCT sets the current for the LED string and should be somewhere between 5 and 6 ma Idss. Matching the BC550C’s is not critical.
I tested 100 2N5459’s they all fall between 6 and 8ma most are very close to 7ma Idss. This is too high for the target 5 to 6 ma. Will 5.4 ma 2sk170GR’s work for setting the current for the LED string.

Still waiting for RIAA capacitors to arrive.
DT
All just for fun!

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I prefer the 5459 due to more Vpinch, plays a role. But possibly academic after the filtering. The thing to do is make your 5459s of choice G&S and feed a 3 green leds string on the breadboard. See the total Vf across the leds, match another triplet. Use 15V B+.You got headroom to bias the cascode's base a little high in yours, helps. BC550s just keep them same hfe zone 5-10%.

I prefer the 5459 due to more Vpinch, plays a role. But possibly academic after the filtering. The thing to do is make your 5459s of choice G&S and feed a 3 green leds string on the breadboard. See the total Vf across the leds, match another triplet. Use 15V B+.You got headroom to bias the cascode's base a little high in yours, helps. BC550s just keep them same hfe zone 5-10%.

Hello Salas,
5459’s it is. I located a test / calculation procedure for matching BC550C hfe at Transistor matching
Thank you for the LED testing procedure. I like the actual 5459 to be included in the CCT being used to select the LED’s
DT
All Just for fun!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
With such a price difference they owe to come out seriously better. If just better, they may be top echelon but poor in price to performance ratio. Then again no top part or machine ever had any price to performance ratio to speak of.

I guess the obbligato should be comparable with mundorf supreme or a good amphom... but the silver gold is claimed to be on another level.... I am very curious about these comparation !!!

As we are entering one of my favorite themes, what do you think about DUELUND Cast - PIO (Paper In Oil)....

Hi Merlin

I am sure it was money well spent !!!

I really apreciate your subjective impressions about different components.... Would you please replace the output caps and let us know the outcome before you go for the interstage ?

Mundorf Silver Gold Oil are really a word apart: is not coarse like teflons, is not harsh like silver, is delicated when needed & strong too also when needed, it is very very tridimensional & transparent, do a sound that never tires, is a whole change not only like other caps that seems more transparent or things like this, if a resume in only one word I say: native sound

Mine advice: buys without doubting it if you can afford & enjoy.

Last edited:
Now that WAF is much improved, see attached before and after, I can continue with the v1.2 build....
Not an optimal set-up yet since my media room is under construction and will be for some time. But is much better than before..

The Salas RIAA fits perfectly under turntable.

Attachments

• DSC02558.JPG
    DSC02558.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC02595.JPG
    DSC02595.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 282
So far no issue with feedback. I had my concerns as well, but is a temporary compromise. For serious listening I can pull the speakers away from the stand. The table weighs about 30kg so is itself very stable.
Right now I am glad to have the stuff off the floor and away from underfoot.

Hello
I have picked the lowest Idss pair of 2N5459’s I could find, 6.6ma for Q7. I am thinking that R7 2.2K should be 1 watt maybe ½ watt not ¼ watt? I^2*R=watts. The other resistors look ok at ¼ watt.
Thank you Salas for tossing out the RIAA and B1 projects, they are food for thought. JFET’s are new for me to chew on.
I pulled out a copy of The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill and getting up to speed on emitter followers, buffers, cascodes and the like. Transistor Man (Figure 2.5) is cool. Things like the wide range of Idss values for the same JFET is curious odd.
DT
All Just for Fun!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now that WAF is much improved, see attached before and after, I can continue with the v1.2 build....
Not an optimal set-up yet since my media room is under construction and will be for some time. But is much better than before..

I really like the heavy tables.....

What is the figure on the screen ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member

A little big the TV:)

The speakers are Proac future diy clons, wich drives & specs, how sounds?

About tube preamps are also diy, wich tubes, topology are you using?

Joaa,
My wife would be very un happy bringing in the boulder you have your turn table setting on. It would be the ultimate TT stand, however. Nice TT by the way;-)

Merlin,
The speakers are my own design based on my experience with Thiel's back in the days. Drivers are Scan Speak Revelators. I am very happy with the sound. "Quasi" first order crossovers. Very hard on the tweeter. +/- 2db down to about 32hZ. What is interesting and happened quite by accident is that they have a very nice impedance characteristics for tube amps.
The Preamp is a 12b4. CLCLC filter regulated by series 0D3. It is in flux right now. Currently using a ccs load with LED bias. I am very happy with sound of 12b4, however, they tend to be feedback prone and noisy. Currently using GE JANs. I have in the works several experimental boards to optimize the design and operating points including discrete CCS and a Gyrator load.

P.S. Am now only missing 2 resistors to complete the V1.2 Build. Mouser has an error in their online catalog. When ordering 0.49R resistors, they send 6.49R resistors. Made the mistake twice now. Should have remaining parts in Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited: