Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2008, 10:35 PM   #211
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree that vinyl replay has a certain "something". I do know however, that I will struggle to match the detail & resolution of my highly modified Marantz CD94.

Hopefully I will get a board layout designed and etched tomorrow for this phono stage. I may need to, as some of my parts are smt. Can't wait to hear it in action.

Lee.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:28 AM   #212
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
I agree that vinyl replay has a certain "something". I do know however, that I will struggle to match the detail & resolution of my highly modified Marantz CD94.
Lee.
You need to listen to a Benz or Dyna or something alike near 1k figure, on an excellent pricey arm, based on a rather pricey TT. Say 4k total. Replay some special 45rpm heavy vinyl pressings of really good recordings. Then compare a 4k CDP.
Using an old nice TT to play our old records through a musical DIY phono, is surely fun and big bang for the money, but avoid the temptation to automatically form any conclusions about vinyl and CD based on such a limited concept. If you get some pcb files, people here will benefit from an upload.
Old 9th November 2008, 08:52 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

good point Salas

I Thinks we can live well with a good used TT 500/ 700 or a diy Lenco , put a good mc 0,5mv , Salas phono and for 1k you never play a cd !

For cartridge look in the world you can find min half price if not 1/3.....
Old 9th November 2008, 10:01 AM   #214
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas, one day I hope to get the opportunity to listen to something as exotic as that! A friend has a Garrard 401 in an SME plinth, with a Mayware Unipivot arm, old Grado cart & a Trichord Dino Phono Stage. It does sound very nice indeed, though I realise it's not really "high-end". I am very impressed by the Dino, for a commercial product at that price.

No problem posting a board layout. I shall try to make it as flexible as possible, allowing for different sizes of caps etc.

Cheers, Lee.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:03 PM   #215
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That will be really good, to post a PCB. And I can calculate more gain for the same topology for people having MC, so everybody can make it! Your friend must replace the Grado with a Denon high out, or some Benz Ace even. He will get a 50% upgrade. Really.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:53 PM   #216
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
I shall try to make it as flexible as possible, allowing for different sizes of caps etc.

Cheers, Lee.
Can you allow for 2 possible output points? Out from second stage via cap, or out from the buffer stage via cap for those needing it (when driving preamps with lower than 50kOhm input impedance).
Old 9th November 2008, 05:55 PM   #217
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:

No problem posting a board layout. I shall try to make it as flexible as possible, allowing for different sizes of caps etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by salas

Can you allow for 2 possible output points? Out from second stage via cap, or out from the buffer stage via cap for those needing it (when driving preamps with lower than 50kOhm input impedance).
Its happening again.....

I will now be able to really taste my Benz.

I knew I should wait a little....

PS
I have a spare DL160 with only 100 hours...

Ricardo
Old 10th November 2008, 04:44 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

A board layout would be great. Now what we need is a really good regulator for the B+. Anyone have a "SuperReg" style schematic for one? I also need to replace my beloved Blue Point, but don't have the coin to send it in for trade or Soundsmith. I my be interested in that low hour DL160, drop me any email if you want to sell it.
Old 10th November 2008, 06:11 PM   #219
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cygnus x1
A board layout would be great. Now what we need is a really good regulator for the B+. Anyone have a "SuperReg" style schematic for one? I also need to replace my beloved Blue Point, but don't have the coin to send it in for trade or Soundsmith. I my be interested in that low hour DL160, drop me any email if you want to sell it.

Hi Cygnus,

I do have simulated a shunt reg, I will try it sooner or later. If there are any brave guys wanting to jump the gun, here is the idea attached. It is a 37V example. It can be set to any voltage easily.

The 5.6R sets the current source. Vbe/Rset (0.7V/5.6R=125mA). Two Salas RIAA channels consume about 40mA if buffer is included, or 20-25mA if not. The rest goes to earth via the shunt P-Mosfet. Must be heat sinked for 5W dissipation. The CCS Mosfet might stand the 0.5W dissipation for 43V raw input, if it is TO-247 case, or it might not in the long term. A light sink is advisable. The Zener value + Vbe sets the regulated voltage output value. Choose the Zener needed for each RIAA version B+ needs. Use 6-8V more than Vreg for raw rectified input. If it turns out excessive due to given trafo etc, you can drop it on some 5W resistor before the main filter cap. The BC560 controls the current source, and the BC550 enhances the ripple rejection by controlling the shunt Mosfet. If you wanna run the reg hotter by using a smaller Rset, use a 2-5W Rset and tackle the heavier sinking needs. I don't know, it might have a subjective sweet spot for total mA running.
We need 2 P-Mosfets 100V - 200V, 2A-12A, 20W-150W. The IRFP9240 is good, has low Rds On, the IRF9610 is TO-220 and much faster (low parasitic capacitance). But there is a numerous array of parts that can work. I DON'T know if something will not work right considering oscillation dangers with different MOSFETS. Its a simple circuit but I haven't made it yet.
Non the less, that is what I would do instead of a better than 317 series reg. In tube gear the shunt regs open up the sound always (regulating with radioactive pink tubes yeah!). Especially the 3D , mid naturalness and rhythm, benefit.

I just show it here in a preliminary fashion since some people are in the process of putting things and PCBs together, and they may regret my otherwise not hinting.

There are reg experts around, please review the thing for obvious problems.

I repeat, I haven't tired it practically yet. I know nothing more. Its up to you if you wanna make an early experiment.
Attached Images
File Type: gif salasshunt.gif (6.3 KB, 1257 views)
Old 13th November 2008, 03:46 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,
Thanks for the info. I'll wire one up and give it a try. I don't have the BC parts, but the PN2222a and PN2907a should come close enough. I'll stick with the IRFP9240, in the past when I've tried faster Mosfets, they oscilate. I'll let you know how it works out.

Hide this!Advertise here!