Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 212 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2009, 06:46 AM   #2111
Tham is offline Tham  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Did the Pana FM swap and letting it to run in a bit...while the ZL sounded cleaner and colder, the FM sounded warm with more weight at the bottom end. Will report back after it settled in properly.
Old 30th July 2009, 07:54 AM   #2112
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Same experience here with the power supply feeding the regulator. I use a CLCLC setup with common mode chokes. Bypassing the last Rubycon 1200/35 ZL with Black Gate standard improved the mids.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:21 AM   #2113
diyAudio Member

Recently I replaced fore mentioned cap combination with Nichicon KG gold tune 4700/63 but there was no further improvement. Lil' bit of overkill

A pic of the old Lenco put in action again after collecting dust in the attic. The arm is from a garbage find Sony TT which seems to combine nicely with the Stanton 881S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recordplayer.jpg (55.0 KB, 764 views)
Old 30th July 2009, 04:11 PM   #2114
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

A very retro cool pic!! I like it. Did you get improvements with this set up over your last one? Enjoying less sibilance etc?
Old 30th July 2009, 05:09 PM   #2115
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tham
Did the Pana FM swap and letting it to run in a bit...while the ZL sounded cleaner and colder, the FM sounded warm with more weight at the bottom end. Will report back after it settled in properly.
Sometimes a synergistic for tone combination of a 100nF PP cap across the lytic gives best of both worlds. It takes experimentation.
Old 30th July 2009, 08:35 PM   #2116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salas
A very retro cool pic!! I like it. Did you get improvements with this set up over your last one? Enjoying less sibilance etc?
Thank you. It's true DIY

As you mentioned sibilance depends largely on setup -which is in progress- but it's better than before. Even with this after market needle the 881s is indeed a fine cartridge, although a little noisy. On two meters distance I can hear high pitched sounds arrive ahead of the loudspeakers. A thin felt isolation and tightning the headshell screws gave some improvement but still...

Next will be some experiments with Ortofon M20 moving iron, Yamaha CG6500, Yamaha MC-9, Piezo YM308 and an ADC ZLM.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:25 PM   #2117
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Great program. Have fun and let us know! The load trimmer can be helpful with so many experiments ahead.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:30 PM   #2118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tell me if we succeeded with the new values, so to know there is not something else going wrong when you finish. Then you tell us more about system and sound.
The new values were successful. Although I have built this RIAA amplifier with cheap standard components and transistors with wrong idss, the sound is considerably better than cd. It sounds so good that I consider to obtain the recomended components just to discover what´s more to retrieve. The rest of my system consists of DIY F5, Lynn Ohlsons Ariels and a Marantz CD 6000 / DAC based on CS 4397.

Regards
Old 31st July 2009, 09:45 PM   #2119
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Congratulations! Very nice amp and wise speakers. Without correct speakers like those you have you can't judge well any device ahead. Any photo of the Simplistic phono preamp?

You did not tell us about your TT by the way except the DL103.

P.S. The special values I created for your GR JFETs are OK and your circuit is analogous to the BL circuits, only with a tad more 2nd harmonic since we could not degenerate the GRs as much as the BLs. But since it is OK for tone, don't change the JFEts or the values. You can freely play with components quality of course.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:53 PM   #2120
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah!!! Congratulations on a successful build! This salas guy is too nice to us

Hide this!Advertise here!