Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2008, 07:39 PM   #191
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RCruz
So you believe that this RIAA is good enough to be built with quality components... (I mean expensive ones) ?

Ricardo
Yes! Few components and high resolution, guarantee their audibility. Treat it as a valve EL84 amp for components. Riken, Kiwame, Polysterene, supple output caps.
Old 6th November 2008, 07:54 PM   #192
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by massimo
Wow! An original Mission 774 tonearm! Designed by John Bicht of Versa Design.
An intriguing and inspired engineer indeed. From F1 to trains, to Hi-Fi, to Espresso!
Attached Images
File Type: gif screenshot.gif (27.3 KB, 1219 views)
Old 7th November 2008, 09:18 AM   #193
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas et all-

Fantastic thread! Still reading. I've been a tube-centric for years, but this has me convinced I should give this a try.

Presently using Cinemag SUT's into a modded Magus pre. I always wanted to try an FVP-5, but this looks like a MUCH simpler solution. Plus the $$ I would need to spend for good low noise tubes when a jfet will do!

I presently am running an HW19-III using a Benz Glider LO, 0.4 mV. I gather the schematic from post 68 would be the one to use?

Now to figure out what boutique caps to get. Got bunches of ol' Vitamin Q's.....

Thanks again- Kent
Old 7th November 2008, 12:56 PM   #194
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas

Yes! Few components and high resolution, guarantee their audibility. Treat it as a valve EL84 amp for components. Riken, Kiwame, Polysterene, supple output caps.
Thank you Salas

i have been looking but i did not find any suitable caps for the RIAA filter... could you please point me where to look for ?

Regards

Ricardo
Old 7th November 2008, 01:40 PM   #195
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Talking about components, has somebody a reliable source for Riken resistors? I know they're discontinued, but some stock might still exist....
Old 7th November 2008, 02:57 PM   #196
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RCruz

Thank you Salas

i have been looking but i did not find any suitable caps for the RIAA filter... could you please point me where to look for ?

Regards

Ricardo
Hi,

Look at the polysterene and silver mica tags at the bottom of the screen.
Old 7th November 2008, 03:01 PM   #197
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by massimo
Talking about components, has somebody a reliable source for Riken resistors? I know they're discontinued, but some stock might still exist....
There is some stock in Canada.
Look at the Riken tag at the bottom of the screen.
Old 7th November 2008, 03:26 PM   #198
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Salas,

You have done some excellent work here. I do have a question.
Can the gain of the new version (cascode) be upped to say 60dB without much of a noise penalty. Maybe a pcb is in order.

Regards,
Jam
Old 7th November 2008, 04:28 PM   #199
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kstlfido
Hi Salas et all-

Fantastic thread! Still reading. I've been a tube-centric for years, but this has me convinced I should give this a try.

Presently using Cinemag SUT's into a modded Magus pre. I always wanted to try an FVP-5, but this looks like a MUCH simpler solution. Plus the $$ I would need to spend for good low noise tubes when a jfet will do!

I presently am running an HW19-III using a Benz Glider LO, 0.4 mV. I gather the schematic from post 68 would be the one to use?

Now to figure out what boutique caps to get. Got bunches of ol' Vitamin Q's.....

Thanks again- Kent
Thanks. It will surely get you very near to a good tube result. I am confident that it will possibly do even better with a FET shunt regulator. I am thinking of a simple one for the near future. I will put it together, test it, and present it if it is worthwhile. Non the less it will possibly play better than I have known with 317 even by using the better ready made regs that people plan to use and mention in this thread.

Your suitable version is the one on post#110. Use vintage caps no problem. Its a system tone match thing. Only be sure they ain't leaky.
Old 7th November 2008, 04:46 PM   #200
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jam
Salas,

You have done some excellent work here. I do have a question.
Can the gain of the new version (cascode) be upped to say 60dB without much of a noise penalty. Maybe a pcb is in order.

Regards,
Jam
Hi Jam,

I have a 52dB both stages cascoded version on test. MadK ''urged'' us to test such a version in his thread. Its more sensitive to noise and sonic susceptibility considering the BC550 base bias voltage scheme. I have solved that by using local mini shunt regs for each transistor. A 2SK170 Idss current source feeding a bypassed Zener. Good use for the leftover unmatched JFETs. I have experienced no more noise than the non cascoded version that way. That can be easily calculated for more gain. I want to do some careful A-B subjective tests next week so to know if it is really recommended over the simple version. It is more complex and sensitive, so it has to worth the hassle. Plays very nicely but somewhat different.
PCBs I almost never make, since I am not scared for hardwiring and perfboards due to my tubes practice. If a good fellow likes to make one and present it here, go ahead and do it by all means.

Hide this!Advertise here!