Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Freshly motivated I will try to move the positions of the trannies.

When I dont succed, I decided to remove the t-amps and add RCA outputs to have the active crossovers separately. Winning more freedom for future or available amplifiers :)

Most material for the shunt regulated remote sense psu is also ready:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I could buy for an apple and an egg this very suitable enclosure as an obsolete single piece out of a production line.

See you!
Franz

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dremel's faster. It only takes a good visualization of the connections. Have used such boards, never made a mistake, but it took more time than island pad ones. The good thing is that the copper does not come off with those striped ones. Remote sensing will help a lot to null the 50cm cabling's effect. Only see in the end using the scope that there are no oscillations in the DC line due to overall length parasitics. Maybe it will need stronger compensation values or not. You are the first to use it so far away as a whole. The other guys normally use a second box for Tx and rectification, and put the reg board inside the phono, with 10-15cm force and sense cabling. But they had large phono main boxes.

Delete the horizontal line from node R17 to Q6's gate. 220uF capacitor's + goes to B+ 37V is the correct polarity of course. The 50pF input load capacitor is not needed. Delete its position or leave it blank for your AT31E that states 100-200pF, so much comes from the TT cable. About double JFET I will check and let you know if it can work with those values around it with proper gain etc.

P.S. I checked it out. Delete the paralleled 2nd JFET in first stage. It will up the trimmer setting adding noise, that will about offset its benefit, plus it will make it lose some gain since it will alter the Vgs point.

Just finished my main PCB according Salas instructions.:)
I attached files for main, copper and silkscreen in PDF format.
Main PCB layout based on P2P from RCruz (obrigado).
On attached files there are also Gerber and Excellon files. Any modifications on PCB layout are welcome.
PCB made in TCI4 ( free software from French guy Bruno Urbani )
Right now I gonna prepare my self to etch my first PCB.
Dual shunt reg PCB almost ready (only need to perform final check ). I will post that to.
Brgds

Attachments

• SALAS RIAA.zip
    73.9 KB · Views: 155
Here an example of one of my Lochmaster stripeboards: a stereo B1 based on 2SK389 including psu.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Today, I had very urgently to solve my hum problem before I can proceed to the V1.2 psu for the simplistic RIAA.

Why?

Because my active crossover got the weakest point in my chain and I urgently had to replace it before I make my phono pre better.

Just to enable me to listen to the differences in my phono preamp improvements :)))

As you may have seen yesterday, I reactived an old project from me: Rod Elliott crossover with two t-amps in one enclosure.

But it showed strong hum :-(

And as some of you insisted I should use better amps than t-amps I removed this amps, the related trannies and the psu from the enclosure.

It is the more flexible option for the future. When I began build this project, I was not aware, that my low-mid speakers (two Fostex FW250 in parallel) do need definitely more than 8 Watts.

Still hum after removing the amps :-(

I noticed, that the hum goes away, when I shorten the inputs of the crossover.

Then it came to my mind, that I NEVER tried to connect the whole circuit to the chassis ground and the safety earth.

Every hum is gone.

I feel like a complete idiot!!! Please be careful with your answers, as my ego is not in a stable shape right now!

Anyway, I will sleep good tonight and I am looking forward to build the shunt remote sensing psu soon.

Franz

P.S.
The crossover is sounding awesome compared to the IMG Stage Line crossover I used before. Next step: adjusting all three ways with the simple pc-measuring system I have.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just finished my main PCB according Salas instructions.:)
I attached files for main, copper and silkscreen in PDF format.
Main PCB layout based on P2P from RCruz (obrigado).
On attached files there are also Gerber and Excellon files. Any modifications on PCB layout are welcome.
PCB made in TCI4 ( free software from French guy Bruno Urbani )
Right now I gonna prepare my self to etch my first PCB.
Dual shunt reg PCB almost ready (only need to perform final check ). I will post that to.
Brgds

Good clean work. Thanks for sharing.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Test result: winner BG, more punch, more harmonics in the mids, lows focused & articulated without losing body, highs crystal clear, resuming are far the best for PSU, only two problems: are super-expensive & now are NOS due finished production.

Photo with BG & Jensen, BG are exactly double size of Jensen:

With BG PSU upgrade now I don't know sure if finally will go to balanced.

Last edited: