Simplistic NJFET RIAA

salas said:

How is your sound by now it burned in a bit? What is your cart and TT and rest of system?

I briefly went back to the Bugle with LM4562s..... but the JFETs remove a veil from the sound, giving better instrumental definition and separation. I feel more involved with the music. (Technics SL1210/ Denon DL110 playing through Hypex UcD amps, OB speaks.)

Now I'm wondering - would a balanced version be a possibility???

John

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It might be, but double the circuitry ain't stiffening up the sonics? Balanced equipment sound always a wee bit more mechanical to me, though always silent. I have measured general self noise floor hovering around -100dB with the shunt on this one on the pic. Is it necessary you go balanced? Current system around that concept I suppose... But hey, with a balanced input we can connect the cartridge balanced as its nature is...hmmm, must think how it may be done nicely.

I auditioned the Simply Kitsch Shunt by the way, and it is marvelous as the Vbe one, but I think it may is a bit more open in the highs. Must listen more to confirm.

Salas2.gif

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, will see. I saw that you are about to source some better caps for the RIAA. Look for Soviet stock online too. Great value.
You will listen better with your cap upgrade over the Wimas.
What exactly is your shunt? Complex one?
Lastly are you happy with the shifted resonance main amp modules? What is their sonic fingerprint? Reliability?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The current source sets the current. That current minus what the load consumes is shunted to earth by Q4. Example: In a 28V B+, buffered Salas RIAA that the 2 channels consume 40mA class A, if you set the constant current at 200mA, Q4 is going to dissipate 28V*160mA=4.48W. The excess current is good for low output impedance and headroom ease. 2 times the static load need for class A is good, 3 to 5 times is royal.

salas said:

What exactly is your shunt? Complex one?
Lastly are you happy with the shifted resonance main amp modules? What is their sonic fingerprint? Reliability?

The shunt is basically the one below, except that there's a diode in series with the led and a 2k resistor in series with the pot.
It may look complex at first glance but the schematic shows two rails, with two TL431s in each for use at higher voltage. So CON10 can in effect be jumpered across, eliminating the lower 431.

I don't know what you mean by 'shifted resonance'. Reliability is fine. I'm not aware of a 'sonic fingerprint' - I prefer them to what I had before, which was a SE triode/horn set-up.

Attachments

• shunt2.jpg
    shunt2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,289
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bypass R6, R8 with 100uF low ESR capacitors, its better. Maybe audible too. Your amplifier's working principle is some form of phase shifting to control a resonance I roughly remember from a PA magazine. Hence its strong efficiency. So its neutral sounding in your experience. Like a gutsy T-Amp, or even better? I am interested to know a good solution for many efficient Watt in a good price. Many guys here talk ICE. Heard any?

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/ClassD/classD.html

here some info but for tripath he use a very cheap unit....
layout are very important in class d , my board use a pcb with 4 layers.....

for fist look at class d , 41hz.com are good place ,kit ,smd or standar ,all power ,single B+ or +/- , panasonic component ,good price and support

I have tre amp , there is a lot difference ,but you pay what you hear

Hope helps

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jonners said:
The shunt is basically the one below,

Is that a Chinese kit diagram? It reminds me the drawing style of some valve amp from there, that was overheating on UK mains and had a buzz. We fixed it up on a thread not very long time ago. Also is that a shunt Mosfet on output but portrayed as a transistor symbol?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
salas said:

I auditioned the Simply Kitsch Shunt by the way, and it is marvelous as the Vbe one, but I think it may is a bit more open in the highs. Must listen more to confirm.

Salas2.gif
Hi Salas

Awesome work... does it perform much better than your previous version (without the leds) ?

Lee is already working in the salas reg pcb.....:lickface: Should I call his attention on this matter ?

Regards

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hey Ricardo, your friend Lee keeps you on the wait. Where is the PCB?:bawling:

Jokes aside, the Led Kitsch Shunt only sounds a bit more open in the highs, but I am not quite sure. The problem with it is that you must measure each Led's Vdrop so to know the total and calculate the Rset correctly. Led makes vary. Green ones are more alike with each other but not across makers. The previous one is based on steady transistor Vbe. Also the left hand side 2SK on the Kitsch is not lending it self for more than 40V across it and its noise and dissipation are on the 40V border for a 36V Reg, 43V in PSU. So it is not that DIY friendly or free for higher B+ high gain Riaa versions as the first one. I would say that a really good 220-470uF Cout, is more critical for sound than the Vbe or Led reference. Do as you please.

I am struggling for time to get everything done. My components business is picking up and taking more of my time. I will endeavor to get the board finished as quickly as possible, Ricardo.

Salas, how do you think your shunt reg compares to something like the sulzer reg in this circuit? I briefly had a go at using a sulzer but couldn't get it to output 24v, maybe I need a higher voltage vref. I do think I'll use the Salas Shunt though, as it's tried and tested here and it'll also be nice to have the complete Salas phono package.

Regards, Lee.