Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 10:28 PM   #1701
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Nichicon are outstanding as smoothing caps !

But I want more.... Today I received the jensen 4 pole 15000uF 63V from DK.

As is the riaa is magical, so I will be reaching Nirvana soon.

Ricardo
Old 8th May 2009, 08:07 PM   #1702
diyAudio Member

Due to the repetitive unlock / lock procedure needed to fine tune the SME3009 VTA, and because I was using a 1.5mm hex key instead of the 1/16" (1.59mm), I managed to kill the locking screw.

Three days after a short e-mail exchange with SME, I got a splendid mail package with not one but three replacement screws.

I did not even have the oportunity to ask for the cost and now I got the parts free of charge...!!!

That is what I call Customer Care.

Ricardo
Old 8th May 2009, 08:10 PM   #1703
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Old 8th May 2009, 08:37 PM   #1704
diyAudio Member

the jensen mod ???
Old 9th May 2009, 12:08 AM   #1705
diyAudio Member

Default Jensen mod

Just finished replacing the nichicon (marantz model) gold pins... (This is a first for me as I had never seen caps with gold pins before ), by the 15000u 4pole Jensen.

It took a while because of the different connections but it was a smooth operation.

Healing from the organ transfer, the riaa sings all the same...

First impressions are a much better high freq detail ... (somehow I detect more distortion but maybe it was there before and I can only hear it now)
The nichicon deep bass is now missing but it is better defined and with more grip.

I also detect lower transient compression so these caps can deliver faster at high freq.

I was hoping to get rid of the 100Hz I hear before lowering the pick-up (sounds like a live concert PA idle sound), but it remains the same so these caps can not replace a snubber circuit.

I must leave it burning for a while so I can report correctly.

Ricardo
Old 9th May 2009, 12:14 AM   #1706
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I though that you reported zero buzz after your latest grounding scheme... Or is it some buzz the cart pics up and then goes away?

Nichicons are no kids, listen carefully after burn in so to know if Jensen will prove really better overall...
Old 9th May 2009, 12:45 AM   #1707
diyAudio Member

The buzz is low volume compared with the music... When I lower the pick-up, the surface noise blends with the PA sound and it is not easy to hear.... sometimes I hear it on very good and silent pressings, between musics.... or worst, during low level passages.

I noticed the riaa is very susceptible to magnetic fields... my table lamp has a transformer in the base (12v bulb) and the riaa starts to pick it up at 30 cm or more... the sound is very similar to the existing buzz... maybe I should shield the TX as it is only 25cm away from the ria circuit... or put it sideways ??
Old 9th May 2009, 12:53 AM   #1708
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Your grounding scheme does not allow for hum, so naturally the buzz must be a field. I would see about the TX orientation first, and if it changes anything, that means measures to be taken.

P.S. That is why I use shielded cable. Kill the field (?) buzz and expect smoother highs. If you resort to shielding, make sure that you will not close the magnetic circuit from chassis to central bolt of the toroid, you can even kill it. A full peripheral copper band is OK, with connection to chassis GND. Toroids mainly offend with stronger field around the secondary cable exits.
Old 9th May 2009, 02:15 PM   #1709
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Salas,

what do you think about adding more shunt regulators, one for every stage of the RIAA? Like two or three per channel.
Would this be good or not for sound?

George
Old 9th May 2009, 03:16 PM   #1710
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Marginally better due to the already very low reg's output impedance that does not blend the stages much. Of course I am sure that you are going to hear it, and depends on what the definition of ''marginally'' can mean for you and your system.

Hide this!Advertise here!