Simplistic NJFET RIAA

@ Merlin:
Wich others? > all the professional designers out there are using it.

@ Caro Ricardo
How do you think Jim builds and tests his iRIAA ?
The best way to test a iRIAA is certanly the use of a propperly setup RIAA no ?

I don't know how Jim Hagerman is doing it. There is an exactly measuring rule to do check this:
Build a low impedance Inverse RIAA - 600 Ohms for example - and insert it between the signal generator and the phono stage input. Measure the amplitude frequency response. If your curve RIAA network is correct you must get a proper frequence response.

That's the theory. Sonical the result can be "adjusted" like you all know... I agree that not all discs are cutted with that 50khz drop off but that's live.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
@ Merlin:
> all the professional designers out there are using it.

@ Caro Ricardo

I don't know how Jim Hagerman is doing it. There is an exactly measuring rule to do check this:
Build a low impedance Inverse RIAA - 600 Ohms for example - and insert it between the signal generator and the phono stage input. Measure the amplitude frequency response. If your curve RIAA network is correct you must get a proper frequence response.

That's the theory. Sonical the result can be "adjusted" like you all know... I agree that not all discs are cutted with that 50khz drop off but that's live.

Would you give me a hint about one or two OEM phono preamps that actually use a 4rth pole in the 50kHz ? Today I am atending another Audio Fair and would like to know.

Do you mean that building a low impedance iRIAA is more acurate than building the RIAA itself ?

I am strugling to reach the optimum curve but it seems there are many ways to reach Rome.....

1. Would you give me a hint about one or two OEM phono preamps that actually use a 4rth pole in the 50kHz ? Today I am atending another Audio Fair and would like to know.

2. Do you mean that building a low impedance iRIAA is more acurate than building the RIAA itself ?

3. I am strugling to reach the optimum curve but it seems there are many ways to reach Rome.....

to 1.
I don't have an overview about phono preamps, OEM or comercial, and the circuits. I prefer using the wellknown designs with 600R LCR-RIAA or an equivalent 600R RC-RIAA. As well I don't care about the 50kHz 4th pole. Maybe I'll do this with my next RIAA design. Anyway I never had the feeling something is wrong with the sound without the 50kHz pole.

Have fun at the show :p

to 2.
Important in measuring is to know how it's defined and how to do / define. For example, your generator has an output impedance of 600R, then your iRIAA with 600R is a perfect match and the high input impedance - i.e. 10K - of the amplifier results as voltage matching.

To have an accurate iRIAA with perfect measuring conditions allows you to adjust your RIAA perfectly. The sonical result is another point of view but comes from the parts choice and their harmony, another thing is the load from the cartridge....

to 3.
Rome sweet Rome

By the way, Mariza gave another great show here... What a voice!!!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just for fun, some photos last setup:

Phono RIAA
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PS
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How different size is the same 10.000uF 63V Jensen 4 pole vs Epcos Sikorel

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@Salas
Many thanks, tomorrow I will start the Rs:)

@Ricardo
Yes the rectifiers are doubles, I don't compare but possible do a new PS for the regs. & phono RIAA with them to compare against Sikorel, but mine opinion is that are better the Sikorels, I will let you know.

I added the silver mica caps & the resistors to the RIAA with exact values as per your suggestion + 2pF to reach 16nF.

Subjective impressions: 1st is the bass control & now can follow him easily, the mids are rich & full, the highs are sweets, in general seems the music less lost like more tight or focused, also seems more soundstage & more separation between channels, the stereo effect is more marked. Very, very good job Ricardo:).

If I extract the 2pF what happens with the sound?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Things are evolving well for you. I have posted how to apply Rs on your particular reg sometime ago in the regulator only thread, I think you have no further questions about it? Remember that for the regs to work at all on Rs, the force and sense wire pairs should be connected at the load end.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 103 has conical tip and much VTF, gets a little less affected than others, normally it gets mellower when looking up. I have seen that vertical tracking force can affect enough. Did the tone change for you now? In what way? Does it track well in general on the Ekos? Is it a Lingo driven deck by the way?