Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 1221 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2014, 03:03 PM   #12201
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Makes a difference for input loading and yes I used signal source modeling.
Old 10th March 2014, 03:04 PM   #12202
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Is that 22k or 1.22k
Old 10th March 2014, 03:08 PM   #12203
diyAudio Member

My simulations show that you need a buffer between the cartridge and the first JFET gain stage. Otherwise, the response is not pretty. The spice models I'm using are from the manufacturer.

You should put all the gain up front before the passive RIAA network in order to achieve the best S/N ratio. This one has a S/N ratio of 95dB @ 1KHz. Real world would be a little less than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LSK170C phono SE.JPG (66.0 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by dirkwright; 10th March 2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10th March 2014, 09:40 PM   #12204
diyAudio Member

Oh, and just to be clear. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, or high jack this thread, or anything like that. I'm only trying to be helpful. This circuit is just something I threw together in 5 or 10 minutes. It's not "finished"....
Old 10th March 2014, 10:38 PM   #12205
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

I added your cartridge circuit to my Salas Folded Simplistic spice circuit. There is no problem.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: png Salas Folded Simplistic - RIAA response.png (27.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 10th March 2014, 11:30 PM   #12206
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Nice. BTW, grab a UNI-T UT61E somewhere online on first chance. Easier to use than your Tenma bcs its auto ranging and It has a sensitive 0.1% spec frequency counter that extends far high, plus its true RMS and 22000 counts. Can datalog on a PC also. Keep the Tenma as secondary meter and Hfe tool.
Thanks, Salas, I shall go looking for one.

Finished the speed adjustment this morning BTW. The 33/45 speed controller I am using is put out by Steve Tuckett of "Number9 TT", here in Australia. It is designed for the 24v Premotec motor which Rega uses:
* mains frequency can be programmed to 0.001Hz,
* run-voltage & startup voltage can also be adjusted,
* as can the capacitance between the 2 pairs of motor windings (to minimise motor vibration).

Steve supplies a pulley for a Rega ... but I am using the speed controller with a Linn LP12 bearing & platter - so I had to get a pulley machined to suit the LP12 dimensions.

It turns out that this pulley is very slightly oversized; using a 1,000Hz tone (which is 1,350Hz when played at 45rpm), I needed 49.35Hz to get 33 1/3rd rpm and 66.60Hz for 45rpm. I had to use a 24dB bandpass filter (centred on 1KHz - which I made using Rod Elliott's P09 PCB) on the output of the phono stage, to stabilise the DMM reading, but it worked very well. At both speeds, I was able to get the DMM display to change only between -1 and +1Hz around the desired reading!

So thanks very much for all of your advice.

Andy
Old 10th March 2014, 11:34 PM   #12207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I added your cartridge circuit to my Salas Folded Simplistic spice circuit. There is no problem.

Jim
It doesn't look that good to me, but opinions may differ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salas folded input stage.JPG (209.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 10th March 2014, 11:51 PM   #12208
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You are simulating the MC configuration with an MM source model.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:54 PM   #12209
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Thanks, Salas, I shall go looking for one.

Finished the speed adjustment this morning BTW. The 33/45 speed controller I am using is put out by Steve Tuckett of "Number9 TT", here in Australia. It is designed for the 24v Premotec motor which Rega uses:
* mains frequency can be programmed to 0.001Hz,
* run-voltage & startup voltage can also be adjusted,
* as can the capacitance between the 2 pairs of motor windings (to minimise motor vibration).

Steve supplies a pulley for a Rega ... but I am using the speed controller with a Linn LP12 bearing & platter - so I had to get a pulley machined to suit the LP12 dimensions.

It turns out that this pulley is very slightly oversized; using a 1,000Hz tone (which is 1,350Hz when played at 45rpm), I needed 49.35Hz to get 33 1/3rd rpm and 66.60Hz for 45rpm. I had to use a 24dB bandpass filter (centred on 1KHz - which I made using Rod Elliott's P09 PCB) on the output of the phono stage, to stabilise the DMM reading, but it worked very well. At both speeds, I was able to get the DMM display to change only between -1 and +1Hz around the desired reading!

So thanks very much for all of your advice.

Andy
Its a minimal gear method but quite handy. Good experimental result.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:37 AM   #12210
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post

Jim
Still there is the mechanical aspect to consider, which varies widely between MM models. "Clearly the electrical model is not telling us the whole story" Load the Magnets!!! - [English]

Hide this!Advertise here!