Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 1214 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2014, 06:58 PM   #12131
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellesmil View Post
Thank you Salas, very god explanation,
i belie i run about 2,2g weight and slightly negative VTA, (tonearm lower in the bearing end)
I ll do more adjustment when the final Riaa cabinet is done
Try to go down to 2.1g then 2.0g without changing the VTA and evaluate when ready.
Old 24th February 2014, 07:03 PM   #12132
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclourenco View Post
I need some advice, I see a lot of builds with Clarity Cap in place of C4, but I have Mundorf Silver, is Clarity better?

The same goes for C3, in this case I have Obbligato Gold, are there any better alternatives?
Thanks to you all.
That's truly subjective and system dependent. You got to try with what you got first. You can't judge with 2M Red anyway until you got your better cartridge. The carts quality is decisive for what to choose in parts and HF EQ. Even with a typical DJ TT the differences are obvious.

Comparison between ORTOFON 2M Red & AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa - YouTube
Old 24th February 2014, 07:39 PM   #12133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
That's truly subjective and system dependent. You got to try with what you got first. You can't judge with 2M Red anyway until you got your better cartridge. The carts quality is decisive for what to choose in parts and HF EQ. Even with a typical DJ TT the differences are obvious.

Comparison between ORTOFON 2M Red & AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa - YouTube
You're right Salas, first let me finish mine and upgrade to the Dyna, and then will start fine tuning. Found a Dyna 10x5 new for 400USD, which is less than 300, quite nice price.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:05 PM   #12134
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I need some advice, I see a lot of builds with Clarity Cap in place of C4, but I have Mundorf Silver, is Clarity better?

The same goes for C3, in this case I have Obbligato Gold, are there any better alternatives?
Thanks to you all.
Hi.

I find the mundorf s/o a bit bright so I will test the claritys in my next build.

Regards
Old 25th February 2014, 05:48 AM   #12135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Hi.

I find the mundorf s/o a bit bright so I will test the claritys in my next build.

Regards
Thanks Turbon. Good luck on your next build.
Rgds
Old 25th February 2014, 07:21 AM   #12136
Siberia is offline Siberia  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You are buying load resistors in the proper load range ...
Top instructions
Old 25th February 2014, 07:38 AM   #12137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Turbon. Good luck on your next build.
Rgds
Thank you and I wan't to add that it is together with Z-foils I find them too bright for my liking.

Regards
Old 25th February 2014, 08:34 PM   #12138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Thank you and I wan't to add that it is together with Z-foils I find them too bright for my liking.

Regards

Z-foils leaves no doubt
Old 25th February 2014, 08:43 PM   #12139
diyAudio Member

If so I better tweak the RIAA resistors to my liking with Z-foils as it's for myself I'm building this. Hmm, jumped the fence after all these years...
Old 27th February 2014, 03:15 AM   #12140
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

I tried a little experiment tonight. I turned on my amps/speakers, preamp, and turntable, put a record on, then turned on the FSP while cold (very cold). I waited a few seconds (imagining LEDs turning on inside the case) then selected the associated input on my DCB1. In retrospect I should have played a couple of CD's or something first, to warm up the DCB1 and the power amps in my speakers. I wanted to determine whether I could hear the FSP warm up. Measurements told me that the TP1-TP2 voltage starts negative for a minute or so, then slowly climbs and takes at least 20 minutes to get to our target 3.6V. I wasn't looking for a fault, just wondering how it changes as it warms.

I listened to a record I know well, although perhaps not well chosen for this experiment since John McLaughlin's guitar is already distorted, but I initially thought it sounded a little more distorted than usual, although not horribly. It was very listenable. Bass seemed a bit weak. After about 20 minutes (half way through the second side) it seemed like the gain had increased a few dB, and the bass in particular seemed to gain extension and power. Treble also seemed to improve, but then it would seem that way if in fact the gain had changed a bit. I started with side two of John McLaughlin's "Electric Guitarist", then played side one, where I started to hear an improvement, then went back to side two again (never touched the volume control). The improvement was definite - cleaner sounding, more extended frequency response in both bass and treble, and noticeably more "power" in the bass (Jack Bruce on "Are You the One?" sounded a lot better the second time around) and percussion.

I must try this again after warming up the rest of the system first, to see how much of the change is the FSP vs. the rest of the electronics.

BTW, I'm starting to like this Sumiko LMS cartridge -- I have always avoided conical stylii, but this little bugger seems to track pretty well and has good focus. Not "high end" but sounds better than I expected. Also more tolerant of setup (VTA etc) than more aggressive stylus profiles, while perhaps not getting the most out of the groove.

One other note: tonight I happened to have my ear right beside the mid/tweeter of one speaker for a moment, and heard... voices! Some RF stuff, I don't know whether it was radio or TV. Could not make it out, and could not hear it at all even a few cm from the speaker. Tried selecting other inputs to the preamp and couldn't hear it, so it was coming from the phono inputs. I'll listen again some day with the TT not connected; I *expect* this is coming from the cartridge or the TT wiring.

Hide this!Advertise here!