Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 1131 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2013, 08:16 PM   #11301
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
There is a work for Ricardo Herstellung eines Wickelkondensators
Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 02:01 AM   #11302
diyAudio Member

OMG...!!!!!

It works from the fist shot, from the beginning to the end of set up!
I'm listening a like a "live" music now! Amazing....
OK, all compliments will be later....

1. Here is my power setup:
Raw DC in -> (L=49.5v/R=49.5v)
B+ -> (L=32.9v/R=32.28v)
TP1/TP2 -> (L=3.6/R=3.6)
Whatever I did, I couldn't bring B+ to 33v and to have 3.6v on TPs.
I hope its OK to keep it as is.

2. I have some very little hiss at max volume on my tube Pre-Amp (no his when Folded is off or disconnected), but I'm not boxed yet and do not use any RC/CRC or LC/CLC variations on Raw DC either.

3. My 1236 AnTek transformer is making a small crackling noises and once in awhile (5 min or so) it makes scrunch sound (like something sparkles there). Is it normal?

Please see my pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (376.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (474.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (310.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (596.7 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by alexkosha; 23rd December 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 23rd December 2013, 03:47 AM   #11303
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think any noise from the transformer is normal. You shouldn't be able to tell it's on without a meter. Are you sure the noises are coming from the transformer? Were I you I would double-check that all the AC power connections are tight; a loose connector could cause intermittent drop-outs, which you would not see on the DC supply because of the filter caps. I'm not sure what to make of a "scrunch" sound. Is the transformer warm at all?
Old 23rd December 2013, 03:52 AM   #11304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
I don't think any noise from the transformer is normal. You shouldn't be able to tell it's on without a meter. Are you sure the noises are coming from the transformer? Were I you I would double-check that all the AC power connections are tight; a loose connector could cause intermittent drop-outs, which you would not see on the DC supply because of the filter caps. I'm not sure what to make of a "scrunch" sound. Is the transformer warm at all?
Transformer is colt (it is 100VA 36-0-36 toroid). All connectors are tight and I'm almost 99% sure that this noise is coming from my toroid.
Old 23rd December 2013, 04:10 AM   #11305
diyAudio Member

Odd. If you wanted to be sure you could wire up a dummy load (say 100-200 ohms) and see if the transformer makes any sounds when not connected to anything else like the circuit, meter, etc. (Nice case by the way, that front panel meter is bitchin'. What does it indicate? Raw PSU voltage?)

What's between the transformer and the case? Is there a rubber pad there? Any odd smells like something burning or volatiles like from varnish?

Last edited by nezbleu; 23rd December 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: changed plural to singular
Old 23rd December 2013, 04:19 AM   #11306
diyAudio Member

Tonight I measured my transformers. They are rated 36V, but I measured 43.3VAC on each of them with no load. Adding a load of about 200R reduced that to 42.8V on both, and a 100R load (actually 97R) dropped them both to about 42.3 volts. I'll measure again tomorrow morning when presumably demand on the local power grid will be higher. But is that a little high? Should I consider a dropping resistor? I was already planning a CRC filter, but the R was just going to be some 0R22 wirewounds I have; if I need to drop a few volts then maybe a little higher resistance is in order.
Old 23rd December 2013, 04:45 AM   #11307
diyAudio Member

That transformer noise sounds potentially like a short within the windings. I would be careful.
Old 23rd December 2013, 06:03 AM   #11308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Odd. If you wanted to be sure you could wire up a dummy load (say 100-200 ohms) and see if the transformer makes any sounds when not connected to anything else like the circuit, meter, etc. (Nice case by the way, that front panel meter is bitchin'. What does it indicate? Raw PSU voltage?)

What's between the transformer and the case? Is there a rubber pad there? Any odd smells like something burning or volatiles like from varnish?
You're right and it is simple to test. I'll take it out and test it tomorrow.

That box (I actually have two: one for PSU and one for phono) I got from eBay from Canadian guy: [url=http://www.ebay.com/usr/minisemi_studio[/url]
He is not sale these now, but he might soon.
Yes, I measure 120V AC in to PSU.

Last edited by alexkosha; 23rd December 2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 23rd December 2013, 06:19 AM   #11309
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
That transformer noise sounds potentially like a short within the windings. I would be careful.
Agree. I'll send email to AnTek customer service. Lets see what they will advise...
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:49 AM   #11310
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice wood work on the p/s cases Alex.

Hide this!Advertise here!