Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2009, 12:09 PM   #1071
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
Well, I don't think that it is easy to beat the Simplistic especially in value and easy to make terms. Any decent valve attempt will cost much much more, and for MC a step up stage is needed. If it is active it needs expert built, if it is a trafo, $$$ and to be incorporated inside main box. The NJFET already beat the Bench which was one of the best, better than Thorsten's grid leak... My tube idea is well...just an another idea, can prove easily mediocre. It will be done for the fun of DIY and to satisfy curiosity. There is no real reason behind it, other than caring for the homeless tubes...
Cost would not be an issue, I've got quite a few homeless tubes myself. Before the fet project, I was just about to build the Gary Pimm phono, so I have all the tubes for that.

Of course, for the fun of it, why not?
Old 20th February 2009, 12:13 PM   #1072
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes, for the fun of it. I agree.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:19 PM   #1073
diyAudio Chief Moderator

P.S. You do have MM so you will not need an extra step up stage. Hmmm even easier. Now that I think about it, it is not that complex for a tube phono. Well, not simplistic, but simple enough. But if it proves a turd, don't blame me, its just an idea, I haven't made it yet.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:32 PM   #1074
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a 15720pF Ruskie like yours in a Simplistic Riaa and I will add 330pF tomorrow, so to measure before and after for you... I generally want it nearer to 16n or a little over than lower, bcs it can pick up HF especially with some bright carts.
Hi Salas

Did you do it ?

Ricardo
Old 20th February 2009, 12:38 PM   #1075
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
P.S. You do have MM so you will not need an extra step up stage. Hmmm even easier. Now that I think about it, it is not that complex for a tube phono. Well, not simplistic, but simple enough. But if it proves a turd, don't blame me, its just an idea, I haven't made it yet.
Though it may be foolish for me to put extra effort next into another phono stage, when my weakest link in the system is the power amp. Now that I really need something better.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:39 PM   #1076
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RCruz

Hi Salas

Did you do it ?

Ricardo
Yes, I just did! It goes towards absolute RIAA compliance in last octave. 15720 + 330pF I used. Your Russian capacitor exactly plus a flat black English silver mica that I tacked underneath. 16n+ total is right.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:07 PM   #1077
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ikoflexer

Though it may be foolish for me to put extra effort next into another phono stage, when my weakest link in the system is the power amp. Now that I really need something better.
No problem. I will dream of a circuit over the weekend and start another off topic for a ''Simplistic Power Amp''.

Seriously now, I would go for a pass F5 if in your shoes and my speakers allowed.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:43 PM   #1078
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:

No problem. I will dream of a circuit over the weekend and start another off topic for a ''Simplistic Power Amp''.

Seriously now, I would go for a pass F5 if in your shoes and my speakers allowed.
The F5 is an attractive idea. However I see that the 3rd harmonic dominates distortion already at 1W, probably because of the push-pull design.

Well, if your simplistic power amp would achieve 2nd harmonic domination at the same level of distortion as the F5 .... I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:53 PM   #1079
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Ricardo:

Not to forget. After you will add your circa 300pF, there is still scope for evaluating your cartridge load resistor again. With my phono the Benz Red played best at 510-630R for instance.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:56 PM   #1080
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ikoflexer

The F5 is an attractive idea. However I see that the 3rd harmonic dominates distortion already at 1W, probably because of the push-pull design.

Well, if your simplistic power amp would achieve 2nd harmonic domination at the same level of distortion as the F5 .... I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind.
I have nothing in mind. I can think about some ideas, but I would not suggest a power amp that I haven't made yet, bcs the costs and effort aren't funny anymore...
On the other hand my KT88 push pull with 12AY7 input and 12AT7 splitter with cascode CCS tail drain has 2nd dominant. But is only 20W triode.

Hide this!Advertise here!