Simplistic NJFET RIAA - Page 1040 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2013, 03:58 PM   #10391
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It may ask a bit different load for best synergy with the folded or not. The DIP switch will be quite handy for that. You may populate with 4.7K its first position since you got a reference already.
Old 10th November 2013, 04:05 PM   #10392
diyAudio Member

I hope this value works well with the folded. I have some Amtrans AMRG 4.7k i want to use
Old 10th November 2013, 04:15 PM   #10393
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Do they fit the holes? If not, you may cut the legs sort enough and solder on the pad's top side surface.
Old 10th November 2013, 04:32 PM   #10394
diyAudio Member

The leads fit the holes but the body length is slightly bigger so i'll bend the leads on the underside of the body to fit.

For C1x im gonna use Pana FC 100v 470uf and for C2x mkp1839 4.7uf.
Any opinions on these?
Old 10th November 2013, 04:50 PM   #10395
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Not bad at all. Still for C1x you may order a couple of Nichicon Muse KZ and/or Elna Silmic II and swap for a future comparison after the build will be run in, the cart load and TT details final, and you familiar. Just for fun and evaluation.
Old 10th November 2013, 05:03 PM   #10396
diyAudio Member

Ok last question for today: I have some Black Gate STD 330uf 50v. I understand that C1x has noise filtering purpose. If i use the BG will i be compromising the performance of the circuit?
Old 10th November 2013, 05:14 PM   #10397
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
4.7R seems more suitable for 11.6mA IDSS.
Thanks Salas.
Old 10th November 2013, 05:19 PM   #10398
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouliki View Post
Ok last question for today: I have some Black Gate STD 330uf 50v. I understand that C1x has noise filtering purpose. If i use the BG will i be compromising the performance of the circuit?
Not perceptibly. 330uF is near enough to 470uF for that purpose in that position. But do measure them because they are old production. Electrolytics with raised dissipation factor show unusually low uF reading below their nominal tolerance for instance.
Old 10th November 2013, 05:35 PM   #10399
diyAudio Member

Thanks salas
Old 11th November 2013, 12:21 AM   #10400
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
transformers.

There was a time when the thought was you could not have too much storage capacitance in a power supply.

Then there came the revisionists who found that too much slowed down the supply and made the supplied circuit sound sluggish.

I was surmising that something like this could just as easily apply to transformers and we, me, most of all included, should consider all aspects of a component.

Nothing easier than buying the biggest transformer you can find and being able to rest assured that THAT is done. Unfortunately, I bet it is NOT than easy.

Nobody wants an easy upgrade more than I, in fact, I want them too badly and can easily lead myself into delusion. The tweak I want to work so badly that I believe it more than can hear it.

When Mr. Salas dismissed the over-specified transformers my comment was trying to see from his perspective. The more I thought about it the more it occurred to me that some of my audio shibboleths are just that.

The irony is the only way to know is to build the circuit and insert a variety of transformers OF THE SAME VOLTAGE but of varying VA and listen to each one long enough to really get its measure.

Being a lazy man I will begin with the ANTEK 100 VA and stick with that until my ear/brain wants to hear something slightly different.

Sorry my post was not clear. But I feel confident, as with everything else, there is a best point on the curve. I will be happy just getting close to it.
Here is an interesting link (from AA) giving a good explanation why a larger-VA transformer sounds better:

Well, Abe... - 1973shovel - Tweakers' Asylum

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!