Dual 510 cartridge advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual 510 cartridge advice

I have just acquired a Dual 510 turntable in excellent condition. This will be my first real experiment with vinyl and I'd like to give it the best chance possible on my limited budget. Is this table any good?

Included with the table is a Shure M95ED cartridge that does sound quite good, but I intend to buy a new cartridge or at least a new stylus. Does anyone have any suggestions for this table? I am looking to spend ~$100. I've mainly been looking at the Audio Technica AT440MLa and Shure M97xE - are these good choices and which do you prefer?

I'm also wondering if anyone has a service manual for the Dual 510, I can't find one at Vinyl Engine.

Thanks
Old 1st September 2008, 02:20 PM   #2
hiwiho is offline hiwiho  Germany
diyAudio Member

A 440MLa is a good choice on late70s Dual! Not as soft as a Shure cartridge, but precise and neutral. Make sure qou really get the mla not the ml. That one is sounding thin and harsh.

You can use the manuals for 504 and 521, they are very similar. An excellent source is wegavision:
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/dual.html

Kind regards,
Matthias

Hide this!Advertise here!