Kofi Annan in: "Givin' a Budget 'Table!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
despotic931..Regas and all....

Regas are a great deck. BUT many have complained that they run up to 5% too fast with little opportunity to "fix" it. I have never (well almost never) heard of Thorens decks running too fast. This is not to say there have never been, but in my experience (I've owned a couple of Thorens), I never had anything that could be considered a "speed" problem. Thorens can be had for $100 or less (CAD or US $s).

AR AX/BX tables are very well viewed upon...the prototype for all suspended decks...the Linns, etc all owe something to the AR. I missed a chance to get one years ago.

Over the years I've had great luck getting my hands on some great tables at what I believe are great prices.

Justin. regardless of the $$$ you may have to spend, you may be able to better the Rega (new or used) with any number of decks as suggested. The Systemdeks, the Thorens, Kenwood DDs, Micro Seikis, AR, etc. This is not a "dig" at rega, but some people have loved em, and some people have hated em. Before laying down any "serious" $$ (whatever that is to you), I'd look carefully at what can be had used, or at thrift stores, epay, etc. You might find something quite interesting.

I agree with Nanook regarding the Thorens deck. Before I blew my kid's college fund on a VPI Scout, I had a Thorens TD-160 that I bought off eBay for $200. I added a Rega RB-250 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge later. The Dynavector was eventually replaced by a Denon DL-103R (modifications were made to the Rega to accommodate the Denon's compliance).

Each one of these add-ons was a significant upgrade to the table. I also made some modifications underneath and could have made about a zillion more. The
Thorens Dept. is obviously in love with the table and has many tweaking ideas-- some with video instruction for the Kofi in you who don't like to do all that readin' and such.

Good luck with your search.

Kofi

Kofi...

I (when I hung out on the AA forums) had actually provided user510 of the Thorens Dept with the list and "snips: of a Steven Stone review of the Chadwick mods to the Thorens. I have the article in an old TAS issue.

Yes the Thorens can be made to sing.

stew

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Kofi...

Nanook said:
I (when I hung out on the AA forums) had actually provided user510 of the Thorens Dept with the list and "snips: of a Steven Stone review of the Chadwick mods to the Thorens. I have the article in an old TAS issue.

Yes the Thorens can be made to sing.

stew

I remember the Chadwick mods quite well, listened to that TT at Steve's place many times and always wanted a corktone mat for my TD 125.. Unfortunately the guy who founded Chadwick mods died rather suddenly about 9 yrs ago.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
despotic931 said:
Awesome, you guys rock, exactly the advice I needed. So now my search for an AR or Thorens begins! I would love to find a single motor AR XA (do they all play both 33 and 45?) and start tweeking on that as it looks like a super simple deck with not much to it.

Yes all XA play both 33 and 45 rpm records, but you do have to remove the outer platter to change speeds which is done by moving the belt to another step on the motor pulley.

Early units have two motors and these are fine too.. I have only seen one and of the four I have owned exactly none had two motors. They're very rare apparently even in their home state..

I currently have a Thorens TD-125 MKI and this is a truly excellent table with a little work. The TD-150 is another excellent possibility. Don't pass up on a TD-124 should you stumble across one of these, usually expensive but I know lucky souls who have picked one up at a yard sale for $25.. Usually run about 20X to 30X this though - so unlikely. (Arguably the best of the vintage Thorens, although the TD-125 has its adherents for this slot as well.) I think the TD-166 MKI/II are ok as are a number of the other models.

kevinkr said:

Yes all XA play both 33 and 45 rpm records, but you do have to remove the outer platter to change speeds which is done by moving the belt to another step on the motor pulley.

Early units have two motors and these are fine too.. I have only seen one and of the four I have owned exactly none had two motors. They're very rare apparently even in their home state..

I currently have a Thorens TD-125 MKI and this is a truly excellent table with a little work. The TD-150 is another excellent possibility. Don't pass up on a TD-124 should you stumble across one of these, usually expensive but I know lucky souls who have picked one up at a yard sale for $25.. Usually run about 20X to 30X this though - so unlikely. (Arguably the best of the vintage Thorens, although the TD-125 has its adherents for this slot as well.) I think the TD-166 MKI/II are ok as are a number of the other models.

Excellent! Thanks for the list of specific model numbers, that helps a lot! I'll keep you guys up to day on my search.

Oh and as I am typing this I am listening to the phono stage in my Vintage Kenwood Eleven GX go out too!

I added the Rega RB-250 to mine and it was quite an improvement. You'll need to either buy an after-market mounting plate or make one. I used MDF for my mounting plate and liked it quite a bit.

You'll need to be mindful of the distance between the arm pivot and the spindle when deciding where to mount your arm. This is experience talking.

Also note that you'll need to carve out some of the subchassis on the 160 to mount the Rega (and probably any other tonearm) as it's a suspended design that allows the tonearm to ride along with the platter.

This actually isn't too tough to do and was pretty satisfying in the end.

Good luck.

Kofi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.