Kofi Annan in: "Givin' a Budget 'Table!" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Kofi...

no problems. It wasn't my table, but one for sale . I have a few tables I should just clear outta my house, 'cause Mrs. Nanook is tired of looking at them all (and stumbling/walking over them all in our basement).

Kenwood/Kencraft DD
Yamaha DD P751
2 Yamaha belt drives, PF1000, and P450
some Duals (including a f%*!ked up CS5000--for parts)
an old Garrard zero-100 (aluminium plinth!)
a couple of Radio Shacks
and on and on.

Hmmm, maybe I should have a "garage sale" here at diyAudio...

I've got some receivers too! And some SCHP1001 Playstations to boot.
(this is not a "for sale ad"!)

stew
Old 2nd August 2008, 05:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Default Re: Kofi, have a look here...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
link to Denon DP1200

stew

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Denon DP1200? My Technics sl1500 is acting up again and I am sick of fighting with it, I need a budget replacement as I haven't the funds (otherwise the technics would have been replaced instead of repaired the first time). Also, is that add in US currency or Canadian?

-Justin (a young newly converted record lover)
Old 2nd August 2008, 06:07 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default I've never owned ...

any Denon tables. It was more so in response top Kofi's inquiries, and the fact that I had found one quite easily on the 'net. For a fairly low price of CAD $170.
Denon DDs do have a solid reputation though. And the DP1200 looks good to boot.I'd have to do further investigations.

Micro Seikis also have a strong following (as do the Technics, as you know). Kenwoods also have a pretty dedicated following and you might do a lot worse than the KD500 DD tables. (I own a "Kencraft" by Kenwood which actually sounds quite nice. Wooden plinth....There are the occasional "lost DDs" out there that are quite good, but nobody wants them--like the Yamaha P751).

You might want to have a look here for some comments and ideas regarding some direct drives.

Hope that helps. As stated, I own a few direct drives. One of the "lost DDs" that I personally have owned (and have wanted another ) is the Akai AP306. It was built like a tank, and sounded pretty decent, and nobody seems to want them. There's an Akai AP207 on ebay for $50. with a little work it could be a n inbteresting table. A little high priced though.
Old 6th August 2008, 05:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default despotic931....

have a look here
at this Hitach, arm appears to be a Jelco (similar to Sumiko premiere MMT if not exactly the same and currently a few hundred $$$ by itself.)
Old 9th August 2008, 03:22 AM   #15
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you could find a Systemdeck II for that price . Rebaged as an Audio Note it sells for $1k +
Regards, L
Old 9th August 2008, 05:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: despotic931....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
have a look here
at this Hitach, arm appears to be a Jelco (similar to Sumiko premiere MMT if not exactly the same and currently a few hundred $$$ by itself.)

Thanks Nanook! Unfortunately I've been super busy with work and wasn't able to check this thread until the auction ended with a buy it now.

I think that the biggest problem I have, being new to records, is that I don't know what's good and what's not. Eventually I want to save for a Rega P2 or P3, however that's a long ways off as I am basically building a system from scratch at the moment. I know the ARXA/XB is a highly recommended starter turntable, but they just seem overpriced for what they are.

-Justin
Old 9th August 2008, 04:43 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: despotic931....

Quote:
Originally posted by despotic931

Thanks Nanook! Unfortunately I've been super busy with work and wasn't able to check this thread until the auction ended with a buy it now.

I think that the biggest problem I have, being new to records, is that I don't know what's good and what's not. Eventually I want to save for a Rega P2 or P3, however that's a long ways off as I am basically building a system from scratch at the moment. I know the ARXA/XB is a highly recommended starter turntable, but they just seem overpriced for what they are.

-Justin

AR-XA/XB do still occasionally show up in yard sales and flea markets for reasonable money. Properly set up even with a stock arm these tables will easily clobber most inexpensive Japanese belt and direct drive tables selling for a couple of hundred $$. I remember when I discovered this for myself 20 some yrs ago - just stunned at the difference between a $25 XA I had just purchased used (it was in great shape) and my relatively new and not cheap Mitsubishi DD..

There are a number of good Thorens for short money that are worth considering as well.

The best place of TT, arm and cartridge information as well as sage advice on the net is the vinyl engine here: http://www.vinylengine.com or directly to the forum here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 10th August 2008, 04:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: despotic931....

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

AR-XA/XB do still occasionally show up in yard sales and flea markets for reasonable money. Properly set up even with a stock arm these tables will easily clobber most inexpensive Japanese belt and direct drive tables selling for a couple of hundred $$. I remember when I discovered this for myself 20 some yrs ago - just stunned at the difference between a $25 XA I had just purchased used (it was in great shape) and my relatively new and not cheap Mitsubishi DD..

There are a number of good Thorens for short money that are worth considering as well.

The best place of TT, arm and cartridge information as well as sage advice on the net is the vinyl engine here: http://www.vinylengine.com or directly to the forum here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks for the information! Any specific models of thorens I should watch out for?
Old 10th August 2008, 06:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default despotic931, yup some Thorens...

I agree with kevinkr. The Thorens had been overlooked for years. Too bad because many of them are excellent tables.

125, 150, 145, 160, etc...

125 are a little $$$. Sometime decent 150 tts can be had even on epay at a reasonable price. Personally I'd go for a 150 (compact) or 160 if available ( the 145 is essentially a "semi auto" tt, cue arm. motor starts, auto lift at end of side).

Of course if $$ were no object a "Prestige" or a 124, would be great choices.

With a little work the 150, 160, 145 tables can be made to perform very well.

stew
Old 10th August 2008, 03:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Cool, thanks guys! And unfortunately money is an object, otherwise I would just go buy the rega I want. Although being a diyer at heart, just simply going out and buying a turntable wouldn't be much fun now would it?

Hide this!Advertise here!