SP10 MkII Brake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes. The only thing that will suffer is how quickly it stops. Also, the mechanical brake holds the platter steady when stopped (while powered).

On the SL-1200 I find that setting the electronic brake to stop dead is very much dependent on the load. If I set it just right (i.e., to stop dead) with a record on the platter, it might stop and reverse a bit (like a rebound effect) with no record on. Never tried the SP10 without mechanical brake.

Mine has no mechanical brake, all the bibs and bobs are stripped out.
Seemed - for any normal home use - to make no adverse difference - but that was only part of a major "clean up" in which the boards under the paltter were taken off board ala Kenyata (ORIGINAL boards sited in a seperate chassis/case and linked by a umbilical. The TOTAL mod. made a very substantial difference indeed to thee perceived sound....it was a lot 'Inkier' and soooo silent.

No Shaun, just moved the standard boards into the P type PS case (in the vast empty space for pro MC head amps Eq etc.) Put some decent PS caps in and that was that.
Mine is an ex. BBC broadcast set up, now in a full Technics obsidian plinth with carbon armboard, highly modded Zeta and original (Japanese) factory restored Audionote Io. That cartridge has such a low output that any s/n anomolies should be easy to spot. I use large 96db sensitivity horns and the deck is silent!!

Have to admit that last year the PS went ' dead' and that due to other priorities and the lackof a scope/knowledgable repairers near here it remains so! Gone back to a different set up until it is repaired.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.