Technics pitch control jumps at middle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Baas is offline Baas  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Technics pitch control jumps at middle

Hey guys, im new to this forum. I did a search on technics trying to find a similar problem but I didnt find the same problem as this.
The pitch control on my turntables acts a little strange. Its right around the middle when that green light snaps on. The pitch makes a jump. This makes it hard for djing because sometimes the pitch needs to be set inbetween that jump for the right record speed to match the other song. Like the pitch control will behave fine everywhere else, its just in the middle when the green light tuns on. Do u guys know how to fix this?
Old 14th July 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

IIRC when the pitch slider is in the middle position and the "light comes on" you are switching back to FG servo control, so the speed will jump to 33.333 exactly.

This would mean that the problem you are experiencing is due to the variable pitch control not being centred around 33.33. By my reading of the Technics schemo you should be able to adjust VR301 to bring the centre point of the pitch control to 33.33.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Baas is offline Baas  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark,
Yah that sounds like exactly what it is. I took off the top plater and slowly adjusted the pot for the pitch control. I dont have an oscilloscope at home so what ive been doing is adjusting it slightly then playing a record on the table, trying to notice if there are any jumps above or below. You turn the screw to the left to raise the pitch at the center and right to lower it. Ive been just going trial and error. Thanks
Old 15th July 2008, 02:08 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's a Technics FAQ that should be helpful:
http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/sl1200.html
and there's this:
http://www.massive.com/in_tune/technics_pitch.html

The service manual:
http://www.backspin.org/service.html

Hide this!Advertise here!