SME 3009 Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm confused about an arm on a deck I picked up. It is a 3009 but where I'm confused is whether or not its a 3009 improved or an S2. I'll post a couple pics for reference.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
h-wan said:
The SME-improved is a low mass tonearm. So you need a cartridge with high compliance. I think Grado has a lot of very fine cartridges of this type.
The resonant frequency of your tonearm-cartridge-system should be between 8 - 11 Hz. You can simulate the resonant frequency on this side:
http://www.cartridgedb.com/default_arms.asp

Helmut

I have an older SME 3009 Series II (not the Improved) with detachable headshell. All Series II types I have seen have detachable headshells. Model designations are a bit confusing sometimes. I have the light weight headshell as well which interestingly is referred to as the S.2, while the heavier shell was the S.3..

Later Series II Improved have fixed headshells while the Series II Improved S2 has the detachable headshell - provided as a clarification.

Yours appears to the Series II Improved..

Parts are readily available for these arms from SME, and there are some good mods out there as well. I have installed the analogtubeaudio.de rca jack mod to replace the oem connectors on the bottom of the arm.

I have used several Grado types including the Reference Platinum which I really like. Check out the Vinyl Engine for manuals for these arms.

Memory plays tricks ....

I remember sending back my model with a detachable shell for an upgrade in 197X.

It came back as a 3009 Series 11 Improved with fixed shell.

From the ticked box on the shipping tag, this is NOT the same as 3009/S2 Improved!

I will glide gracefully into retirement .....

BTW, just dug out the details of the cartridge, A Shure V15-11 with a new (then!) VN15E stylus. This was all put away while my kids grew up.

Tried it this morning with my Hi-Fi News test disks and various others on the 401 table.

Absolutely impeccable performance on tracking, dynamics (tone bursts on the 'scope are text-book. It sounds good, too!

Sorry, this is way OT! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.