floppy motor for my rega?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having a hard time looking for a few facts about floppy drive motors:
Would it be easy to put in my rega plinth?
As in, is it easy to get the motor to do 300rpm, and can a longer spindle be put in for the pulley? Or do y'all attach the pulley some other way.
If I glued the pulley to the motor I would end up with a wobbly paperweight.
Does this motor alternative really stack up against the pricey OL and etc DC motors?
I'd love to not spend $800AU!!
And thus am very interested if the floppy motor ever evolved to the point of rega drop-in.

planarboy..

look here

and here as well

The first link is the project, the second shows a "surface mount" to the floppy drive setup. If you don't mind either hacking up your existing plinth, or making a new one, the floppy drive could be sunk into the plinth and a cover placed over top. The pulley needs to be machined to accept the shaft diameter of the floppy motor, and could be glued using something like a non hardening rubber cement (easy to remove). Just a couple of ideas.

yea it could be done for a rega i would think...its fun to play with...

i must point out that some floppy motors are easyer to mod than others...
so collect a few and have a look at how small the pcb and motor unit is

some of the laptop and newer floppy motors i have seen are ideal to mod...because they had a seperate pcb from the motor

you can use 3.6v-6v battery or mobile phone charger to power it...so low voltage and very safe to play with

:D

Attachments

• small floppy fitted.jpg
    small floppy fitted.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 245
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.