Best solvent to clean out main turntable bearing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

Can't seem to find any solid answers to this, but I was wandering what the best solvent (available in the UK) is for cleaning out the oil bearing housing of a Garrard 401 (or any turntable for that matter) ?

Is white spirit or methylated spirit safe to use?

Many thanks,

- John

Yes, but do not drink either.

Meth is not a solvent for most oils, white spirit is. Lighter fluid would be my choice out of the things I've got handy. The chance of damage to something as hard as a bearing is small, just don't get anything abrasive in there, and don't leave any moisture.

w

...or you could use WD40.

For anyone reading this thread looking for more general advice, remember that *sintered* bearings absorb whatever they are soaked in. In this case, solvents aren't a good idea. A few hours soaking in a suitable oil (preferably heated) is all that's usually required.

Wouldn't think of it (hic!...... damn!).

Thanks for all the advice - will try the heated oil approach. I believe the bearings in the 401 are sintered (according to: http://www.slatedeck.com/turntables/Garrard Grease Oil Bearings.html)

What's the best way to heat the oil? Hair dryer, or perhaps placing the oil in a container, then placing container in boiling water, or something else?

Thanks,

- John

Sintered bearings can be solvent washed clean, and should be, if the bearing has been allowed to 'dry-out'.

It will need re-filling with oil - best done as a heat soak, rinse with clean oil (to ensure all solvent is driven off), and a final heat soak.

The longer the better for both stages, and it will STINK...

Afterwards, wipe the exterior, and degrease the base of the bearing, before applying a new gasket using something like blue hylomar.

Add some oil, and gently insert main shaft - if you use the felt ring, it will soak up some of the excess, and ensure continuing lubrication...

Owen

Sintered bearings can be solvent washed clean, and should be, if the bearing has been allowed to 'dry-out'.

Agreed, I meant that they shouldn't just be rinsed in situ, then a smear of oil applied, as one might with ballraces etc.

I just heat the oil in a small pan over a stove. I guess there's a degree of risk, but no more than in making chips!

In the end I merely poured the oil into a beer glass I had to hand (!) and put the housing in there, leaving it on the window sill - been so hot it's doing the job nicely. Will leave it a day more than clean it up.

Just hope I don't pick up the wrong pint glass..... the colour is exactly the same as a good ale :clown:

- John

The question is what do I use to clean a bearing.
I suggested paraffin. and in case someone knows it by another name I gave two other names by which it is known.

For a cleaning fluid one could use paraffin = 28second heating fuel = aviation jet fuel.
Does that help you?

yes, Andrew. I presume you know that the idiomatic expressions and common names, trade names that are local to Scotland and the British Isles are not always the same as the ones used elsewhere, including in the USA??

Paraffin is a light white wax used for candles and canning.
28sec heating fuel is guaranteed an unknown term here.
aviation jet fuel = souped up kerosene in the USA

I'd use Naptha for cleaning bearings, AKA "lighter fluid" in the USA.
Also sold for use as BBQ lighting fluid.

Does that help you?

In the UK paraffin is what the US calls Kerosine, an off clear, sometimes pink, high petroleum distillate fraction. We would refer to what the US calls Paraffin, as paraffin wax.

If you want to clean out a bearing use a solvent for the oil that is in it, that usually means using volatiles and the thinnest petroleum distillates.

In the uk Naptha refers to a waxy solid made with Napthalene, (moth balls) we would call Napthalene by it's name or lighter fluid.

Napthalene is probably the best easily available solvent for cleaning your bearing, it's super volatile and evaporates very quickly.

In the USA "lighter fluid" would not be the same stuff as "mineral spirits".

Mineral spirits would be heavier nastier stuff used for cleaning brushes after painting with "oil based" paints.

Lighter fluid (here called Naptha) is much lighter and very volatile, fast evaporating, burns with a blue flame (btw).

Nothing I have seen here is sold as "White Spirit". I think we'd be expecting a Caucasian ghost! :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.