I finally have my new project spinning. I built a new plinth and stand alone motor pod for a vpi hw19 Mk3 platter. My goals were to tighten up the bottom end and lower the noise floor. The bass with the heavy unsuspended plinth is noticeably tighter but the noise floor is only marginally improved. I first set it up with a big slab of mdf for a base but checking for motor noise with a stethoscope I found that the new plinth was louder than the original vpi was at the oak frame and much louder than the vpi plinth.
I built a quick sandbox with 2-1/2” of black blasting sand and separate ¾” acrylic platforms for the motor and plinth. To my surprise, I could still hear the motor through the stethoscope but at least now it is quieter than the original.
Looks pretty cool.
Have you been able to identify all of the noise sources, all motor, bearing or combination of both?
Can you actually hear the motor noise on silent passages with headphones?
How is the motor mounted in the pod? May make sense to decouple it or add additional mass to try and damp the vibration or both?
The noise I can here with a stethoscope is from the motor. I can’t hear anything from the bearing even if I spin it up to 100 rpm or so by hand.
The motor pod I built is 1/8” aluminum lined with 1/16” lead with laminations of lead and acrylic for the top and base. It is already fairly massive and there isn’t much room or more mass. The motor is only isolated by some rubber o-rings under the washers. There is probably a total rebuild of the motor pod in my future with a better isolated mount. I’d like to find a source for rubber isolators similar to what VPI used, they seem pretty effective.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2016 diyAudio